Re-route or extend boiler overflow pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm building an extension on side of house. On the gable where the extension goes the boiler flue and overflow pipes come through wall.

The roof of the extension will be tucked in under the flue but the overflow pipe would be inside where the extension roof will be.

Could I extend the copper pipe to run a few meters along the wall and out through the where the new brickwork meets the existing wall?

Sponsored Links
I'm not really sure how! The pic is properly orientated on camera but on its side on here!

It should be 90 degrees clockwise

Any help appreciated!

Sponsored Links
If your boiler produces steam out of its flue when it starts, then the "copper pipe" is then the "condensate drain". When your boiler fires it produces an egg cupful of actual water, this drips into the base of the boiler whence it goes down this pipe to a drain. In winter, this small amount of water in a freezing copper pipe freezes and can eventually block the pipe right up. The water level will rise in the boiler until it spills out or trips the electrics. So this pipe should be insulated and because the water is acidic, should be taken down to a drain, if it drips onto bricks/concrete etc. they will be marked (and very slowly eroded away!).
The best way to deal with this pipe is to replace most of it with plastic and return it into the gutter of the extension and insulate it, all in the loft space, if possible.
Frank

If your boiler produces steam out of its flue when it starts, then the "copper pipe" is then the "condensate drain". When your boiler fires it produces an egg cupful of actual water, this drips into the base of the boiler whence it goes down this pipe to a drain. In winter, this small amount of water in a freezing copper pipe freezes and can eventually block the pipe right up. The water level will rise in the boiler until it spills out or trips the electrics. So this pipe should be insulated and because the water is acidic, should be taken down to a drain, if it drips onto bricks/concrete etc. they will be marked (and very slowly eroded away!).
The best way to deal with this pipe is to replace most of it with plastic and return it into the gutter of the extension and insulate it, all in the loft space, if possible.
Frank
Are you sure?

It clearly looks like a pressure relief pipe to me. In which case it can be extended to a new exterior position but it needs to have fall along its whole length so any water this is dispersed through the pipe can run away properly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back