Moving a Gas Meter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to have the gas meter moved from inside to outside.
What's the best (and quickest) way to go about this.
Any idea as to the cost :?:

Sponsored Links
Don't hold your breath on it being cheap, quick or simple.
It involves you (or a builder) to install the meter box, which needs to be in an acceptable position, then Transco (or National Grid or whatever they are called now) to move the service pipe, then your energy supplier to reconnect the meter.
Then possibly a registered Gas-safe engineer to reconnect your internal supply pipe to the meter.

I had this done a couple of months ago. Transco (or whoever) did the lot including supply and fit of external meter box, moving the meter and reconnecting internal and external pipework. Even relit the (somewhat old-fashioned) boiler and told me I needed a new one :) .

It cost me around £700 (can't remember exactly and I'm not near the paperwork just now). I was quoted a fixed price for a meter move and would have included replacing the supply pipe back to the main if that had been necessary (it wasn't, so Transco got a good deal). 2 men came and 1 did the work which took him around 2 hours.

This was an easy move because I wanted the meter moved more or less through the wall so minimal alterations to the pipework.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back