Need to pull this rad pipe to make it fit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all, I've had to change a central heating radiator in our spare room as the bleeder snapped off.

I've had to go from imperial to metric, and I understand I will need extensions to fill the gap.

The problem I have is that the new radiator sits further away from the wall than the old one did, it's on the shortest bracket option so there's not much I can do there.

Short of getting a plumber to cut the pipe and extend this a tiny bit I have decided to hack away at some of the plaster to see how much flex was in the pipes.

It turns out I can pull the pipe forward now and it should mate up with the rad connection, but obviously when I let go of this it will just spring back to where it is sat now.

My question is, can these copper pipes be pulled and connected like this? Or am I likely to put too much strain on it and cause it to leak? Without knowing how this pipe travels behind the wall or if it's a solid section or has elbows soldered to it leaves me in the dark.

Here's some pictures. Thanks.
IMG_2445.JPG
IMG_2450.JPG
IMG_2451.JPG
IMG_2466.JPG
IMG_2467.JPG
IMG_2468.JPG
IMG_2445.JPG
IMG_2450.JPG
IMG_2451.JPG
IMG_2466.JPG
IMG_2467.JPG
IMG_2468.JPG

Sponsored Links
How hard are you having to pull the pipe to get it to line up? Does it feel loose and springy or are you really having to pull on it ? Can you lift a floorboard to check?

I think you've fitted a double when a single radiator was in place, yes?

11 replaced with 21?

If you'd bought another 11 (single) it would fit

I wouldn't want to strain the pipes personally.

Sponsored Links
Sorted it.

Yes it's a double radiator but slim profile.

By the time I put the radiator extensions on they only had to be pulled back a few mil to be right.

Jobs a good en!

Thanks

It's a P+ rad , could you give us more pictures please mate I can't tell what you need to do :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Obviously looks shyte , should of altered pipework to suit.
Tails obviously pizzed and going into rad @ an angle.
Pet hate of mine , a sign of a good fitter being pipes straight into valves.
Good side being you did it yourself so didn't have to pay......although the end result being an eye sore.

Now he's going to plaster over his chopped out mess. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back