Need to remove/replace Kitchen Sink plug/waste assembly.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My son has moved house recently and his stainless-steel kitchen sink leaks through the seals on the plug and water drips into the cupboard space below.

The whole plug/waste assembly obviously needs replacing. Probably with this:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/stainless-steel-strainer-waste-1-bowl-90mm/9411k

However, can anyone advise me the best way to remove this unit. The slotted head screw/bolt (I’m not sure how else to describe it!) that sits in the centre of the plug-hole is rusted solid and is refusing my initial attempts to loosen it.

Is there a special tool that fits into the slotted head screw/bolt that will help loosen it?...it’s very awkward if you don’t have a very wide, appropriately sized screwdriver. The sides of the slot are very rusted and it’s difficult to get a decent purchase.

Any advice/tips greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
If it's a hex head then a suitably sized socket will fit it. I just use my vice grips if it's to be replaced.
Thanks for that;...however it's not a hex head, it's round and quite badly corroded. I've tried my mole-grips but it's not easy.

is the old one plastic or metal?

photo may help

If you can cut or break the "spokes" then the top and bottom will fall apart. Easier if they're plastic.

Sponsored Links
is the old one plastic or metal?

photo may help

If you can cut or break the "spokes" then the top and bottom will fall apart. Easier if they're plastic.
Hi, thanks for that;…it’s all metal apart from the base section which is plastic.

I might get my hack-saw out and slice the whole thing off from underneath,…what do you reckon?

Try undoing all of the pipework and twisting the white plastic base whilst holding the metal strainer in place?

Thanks for the info guys ;…I’ll try the coin/pliers option but I suspect brute force and ignorance is what’ll be required.

Another question for you experts:-

…if the slotted-head screw/bolt in the new assembly has a ‘Hex-head’ I should be able to tighten it with one of my box-spanners.

However, if the head is ‘round’ (like the original knackered one) how does one tighten it properly?;

…. is the 1p coin/pliers the approved method?

I’d like to get some decent pressure on the seals as I suspect the original was fitted a little too insecurely, and that’s what’s caused it to leak.

Also, is it worth running a very thin bead of clear silicone onto the ‘seals’ before tightening them up?

Thanks.

I use a particularly large size of screwdriver. I think it is intended for carpenters. It's a size you might normally use for opening and stirring paint tins, came in a set.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back