washer on kitchen sink plug

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

our kitchen sink has one of those large stainless steel plugs with a slotted basket to collect large solids etc. It has a captured rubber washer that seals it in the waste when you push it down. This has perished and torn and no longer seals. I removed it quite easily but can't find anyone who sells them.. the only options I have been given so far is to replace the entire waste or get a special washer cut at a washer manufacturers..

is there anywhere I can get these things off the shelf? I have contacted the sink manufacturer but so far no reply.

thanks

Trev

Sponsored Links
Hi,

our kitchen sink has one of those large stainless steel plugs with a slotted basket to collect large solids etc. It has a captured rubber washer that seals it in the waste when you push it down. This has perished and torn and no longer seals. I removed it quite easily but can't find anyone who sells them.. the only options I have been given so far is to replace the entire waste or get a special washer cut at a washer manufacturers..

is there anywhere I can get these things off the shelf? I have contacted the sink manufacturer but so far no reply.

thanks

Trev

have you tried taking it down to a plumbers merchants and see if they have something suitable on the shelf possibly for another application

thanks, yes went to city plumbing, they're the ones who tried to sell me an entire waste.. might try a few other places, see if I get any other options.. I just figured it can't just be me - the sink is only a few years old, other people must have this issue?

next one I go to I will ask if they have anything close for other applications like you say

Sponsored Links
you'll be lucky to get that washer off the shelf. The manufacturers are your best bet otherwise you might have no choice but to buy a new sink waste basket strainer.

thanks, yes went to city plumbing, they're the ones who tried to sell me an entire waste.. might try a few other places, see if I get any other options

When I see this situation, usually when queueing at the merchant, I tell them, behind the counter, that if they'd just robbed the bit the customer needs, then charge it at the price of the complete unit, customer goes away happy and merchant doesn't lose out.

I wouldn't mind paying for a new plug.. but the whole waste? seems like madness.

ah well, just wanted to check there wasn't an obvious option I'd missed :)

Hi Trev, did you have any luck locating one of these washers as i need three and having very little success.

Regards,
Bob

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back