Needing to tile as new shower being fitting over bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening all,

This is possibly a simple question and I'm hoping that it is a simple 'ish job with the right advice.

I am having an electric shower fittied in my bathroom and as a result am going to need to increase the tiling around the bath so that it can be used as a shower too.

To explain the layout and what is there now -

There is tiling on the three sides of the bath to a height of half the wall. The remaining wall to the ceiling is painted. One of the walls is an ajoining wall with another flat, the two ends are partition / stud / plasterboard walls (in my laymans terms they aren't brick).

I have no idea what these walls would be plastered with - would it be regular plaster board or would they be some sort of aquapanel / moisture resistant board as they are around the bath?

It is my intention to have the shower over one end of the bath and then to tile the remaining bare walls on the three sides to the ceiling.

I have read through the forum about tanking, water resistant / aqua board and what seems to be the dreaded PVC.

My questions are basically about the best way to go about tiling this remaining part of the wall in a good manner and whether existing tiling is acceptable for its new role as being part of a shower not just a bath.

i) Impossible to answer I guess but would the tiles that are already there be onto something other than plasterboard and would the remaining part of the wall be plasterboard too? - I would think so as the building contractors on the block would use the cheapest materials and just use PB

ii)On a side note is it acceptable to tile straight on to PB around a bath as it might not get as wet as with running water from a shower?

iii) can i just continue the tilling from the edge of the current tiling or does it all need to come off and preparations done to make it suitable for a shower. If the tiling below is just on PB it will be a weak link?

iv) If the existing tiling is suitable what do i need to do to prep the wall for the remaining tiles?

This must be something that pro- tilers see on a weekly basis so Im hoping that some of that experience can be imparted onto me so that my weekend project is a success.

I am trying to balance cost, time, with doing a good job and having somethign that will fit my needs i.e. last 3-5 years until I have a completely new bathroom.

Sorry for the long post but I wanted to give as full a picture as possible.

Many thanks

ps. I have a shower ensuite that is exactly the same tiling / colours as the bathroom..would they have used water resistance board /aquaboard there? is there anyway to tell? Is it building regs to do so or not?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back