fitting a bath and then tiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am just fitting a new bathroom and am about to do the following so would like confirmation that it is correct or that I am making a big mistake:

I have fixed plasterboard to the two walls around the bath and am going to tank them (with BAL shower kit)

I assume I fit the bath to the wall before tiling and then tile directly onto the wall from the bath level upwards.

(I had thought that maybe I should put a layer of tiles that covers above and below the bath level so, when joined with silicone, there is a better seal but I have not seen it on the forums so am assuming this is the wrong way to do things).

If the brackets above are wrong, when connecting the bath to the wall is it correct that I stick one layer of sealant between the bath and wall. Then put the tiles on. Then stick another layer of sealant between the bath and the tiles?

Do the tiles go directly on at the bath level as previous posts have mentioned using a baton, but wouldn't this leave a small gap between the bath level and where the tiles go on above the baton, that would need filling with cut tiles?

Thanks for all the help

Sponsored Links
I'm also refiting my bathroom.

Are you fixing your bath mechanically to the plasterboard or to the wall behind it using brackets?

I have marked up where the stud wall partitions are behind the plasterboard so was going to attach it to the wall, through the plasterboard and into the wood

Sponsored Links
I have marked up where the stud wall partitions are behind the plasterboard so was going to attach it to the wall, through the plasterboard and into the wood
Lucky you've got wood - I've got steel studs but the flanges are so thin I'm doubtful that they'll support much.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back