Tiling round a bath - Tile to edge of bath or past edge?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was wondering which is the correct approach....

Option (a) I fit the bath then tile the wall with the bottom edge of the tiles running just above the top of the bath. Was then thinking that the gap between bottom of tiles and bath would then be best as silicone.

Option (b) I tile the wall and take the bottom of the tiles lower than where the edge of the bath will sit.

My guy feeling is that option (a) is probably the right way to go but????

Bath is enamelled steel Kaldewei with metal bolt-on feet.

Sponsored Links
i am assuming that the bath is already out seeing as option A is to refit the bath, why not tile floor to ceiling ? if ya dont want floor to ceiling tiles, work out your layout so that at least half a tile is below bath height and fix battens to the 3 wall that go around the bath, that way you can finish your tiling and grouting, re attach the bath, fill with water, silicone, leave the water in overnight, drain the bath, the bath will raise and give a water tight seal.

If you dont want to do either of these, then as TPT says, option A is best

Thanks for the input, much appreciated.

Baths not in yet, it's a brand new bathroom.

I was thinking that option 'a' was best given that this would mean that the bath edge would be behind the face of the tiles. I thought this would be better at stopping water getting round the edge of the bath and wetting the floor under the bath (I've had this before, hence the post).

The idea is to mark the bath position (with bath filled). Take bath away. Add treated softwood batten for bath edge support on wall. Tile 10mm above where top edge of bath mark is. Silicone along wall 10mm below edge of tiles (along the batten) and push bath against this (this is seal number one). Now fix bath in place. Now pump silicone into the 10mm gap between top of bath and bottom of tiles (seal number 2). Does that sound sensible?

The wall I'm putting bath to is aquapanel over studwork, 1000 gauge polythene behind the aquapanel. I can't see any danger of wet problems with this. However, the floor is plywood on joists.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the input, much appreciated.

Baths not in yet, it's a brand new bathroom.

The idea is to mark the bath position (with bath filled). Take bath away. Add treated softwood batten for bath edge support on wall. Tile 10mm above where top edge of bath mark is. Silicone along wall 10mm below edge of tiles (along the batten) and push bath against this (this is seal number one). Now fix bath in place. Now pump silicone into the 10mm gap between top of bath and bottom of tiles (seal number 2). Does that sound sensible?

it doesnt make any sense to me mate, what if ya bath doesnt drop 10 mm ?

why tile 10 mm above where bath mark is ? you really need to have tile below bath when bath is full.

10 mm gap between bath and bottom of tiles will look ridiculous unless i am reading this wrong, and if thats the case i appologise.

1 tile to below bath
2 grout
3 fit bath and fill with water
4 fill the small gap between bath edge and faces of the tiles, leave for 14 hrs
5 drain water out of the bath, perfect watertight seal
easy peasy

do it wrong and ya asking for trouble mate

How's the new hand then jimmy.....

Hope it's going ok....auld yin... ;)

How's the new hand then jimmy.....

Hope it's going ok....auld yin... ;)

probs at 65% movement and usage now mate, but using left hand is about the same as being ambedexterous now, havent found anything i cant seem to manage.

everything is good Davie mate. Hope you and the family are fit and well and getting geared up for another holiday lol, she loves spending ya money mate lol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back