Tiling above a bath problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In the process of fitting a new bath.
Starting out with plastered walls.
Usually i have fitted the bath first and then tiled above the bath. From what I've read, this seems to be the most preferred option....

However, having fitted the taps to the bath, if i were to fit the bath and then tile above it (and so behind the taps) there would be very little gap between the back of the taps and the tiles on the wall. The gap would be so small that i wouldn't be able to seal between the bath and tile at the point behind the taps.

To solve it i could tile behind the bath and fit the bath on top of the tiles and then seal it up after. Although im reluctant to do this method as it doesn't really seem to be the best practice, and is going to be more prone to sealant failure and result in leaks.

I cant fit the taps after as they are centre mounted taps so wouldn't be able to get to the mounting nuts very easily with the bath in situ.

Anyone come across this problem before? And any ideas for an alternative method.
The taps are quite a deep block of metal (stupid modern taps)

Sponsored Links
Hello,
I think you are looking at this sensibly- as in assessing taps and means to tighten and loosen being a pig to do after everything else.
Although I expect a fitter would have a spanner just for this awkward job. After all, it's not as though you should expect to have to remove a bath to remove the bath taps.
So, set bath, tile down, fit taps-with difficulty and this with an expensive long reach spanner thingy.

KNuckle mashing misery, but better than tiling and sealing behind taps= crappy tiling and sealing.

Just my thoughts.

Cheers,

If you are still with us i'll take you a little further.

For the general reader's interest:

Unless its exceptional circumstances, we always fit the taps and prep the bath before sliding, or dropping, it into an untiled wall(s).

Thanks for the replies.

When i planned the job I was hoping to prep the bath first, fitting taps and do the tiling and sealing after, as suggested, being the easiest way to do it, however after tiling, the taps would be that close that im not sure that the sealing will even be possible. (Main problem is the height of the tap unit, its a 'flow waterfall' tap, so its like a large block thats a good few inches high. Lack of gap means the sealant gun wont get near the base, and the gap is not big enough to even get fingers in.)

Also not sure if its possible to fit the taps after the bath has been fit, even with a long tap spanner, which ive got. It would certainly be very difficult. May have to have a trial run doing that but im not hopeful that its the solution.

I agree, having to take the bath out to change the taps sounds ridiculous but not sure of the alternative. Maybe a professionals technique with a tap spanner would be needed.

I also dont want it to look stupid having the taps so close to the wall.

Only other thing i can think of is to leave a bit of a gap between wall and bath, then the taps won't be as close to the wall after its been tiled. But this will only give a slight improvement to the problem, as the gap wont be able to be very big at all, otherwise i may as well just tile behind the bath, which is what im trying to avoid.

Confused.com
More help needed please 🙏😰

Sponsored Links
1. your bath goes to the wall - no gaps. And dont set the bath into the wall.

2. Is your bath already installed?

3. Doubling up, or even tripling up, on your applicator nozzle will enable you to reach behind the tap block. Round off a "stick" and liquid soap the end, to smooth the silicon. Practice first.

4. You could run a very fine line of silicon at the very back of the bath rim before installation of the bath. The rearguard. But silicon as usual after tiling.

5. The tools you refer to are:a tap backnut spanner, and a basin wrench.

6. Have your tub fitted and plumbed-in, and pressure and drainage tested, before moving on to tiling.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back