Neglected Brushes

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
Not a problem I'm familiar with as I am careful with them.

Someone else used one of my best Perfection brushes and left it in a jar of water, probably intending to do some more another day. When I found it, it had dried out and gone hard. Is probably whilte undercoat and gloss.

I left it for a couple of weeks in blue brush cleaner, and now the bristles flex about half way up but the stock is hard.

The old feller is going daft so he isn't responsible.

Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Surely this is riddle of the week ?? Errrr. buy a new brush?

How much gunk / time would you spend resurrecting it?

Sponsored Links
I worked in a govt training scheme painting OAPs houses. The guy who doled out the equipment each day (quartermaster ??) - swore by Nitromors. Fill a jam jar with the stuff to just below where the bristles would be if the brush was inverted in the jar, no higher. Then leave until soft - repeat as the nitromors becomes gunked up.

do you mean immerse the bristles, or immerse the handle?

Sorry John D. I meant to say inserted not inverted :LOL:
Getting my 'v' s and my 's' s mixed up. Of course you soak the brush in Nitromors up the the ferrule !

Is someone taking the pivv ;)

I look after my brushes and some I inherited from my dad. A short while ago Mrs Therms decided to paint something (goodness knows why). She left the brush lying on the top of the paint tin. When I found it I could have sharpened the end and used it as a chisel. I was furious.

I tried soaking the brush in paint stripper and although it got most the paint out the brush was never the same again. The bristles are fluffy and the shape had gone.

Have a go with the paint stripper, you’ve nothing to lose… and learn your lesson about lending things.

Inherited brushes :eek: :eek: :eek:

I inherited a broom from my grandad, I've still got it. It's had 3 new heads and 2 new handles.

you're right there :eek:

"Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:19 am"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back