Neighbour complaint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, random question

I have started my garage work which is a outbuilding. We have a service road at back. So my builders bought a grab lorry from the back and concrete from service road too.

What they have done is cracked one of neighbour’s concrete leading to his garage, the slope? Its probs 20cm crack and 5cm chipping.

What he is saying me or the builder will need to fix that. He also suggested there’s no way you can fix or patch a concrete and only way to fix will be to re-do the whole concrete? Is this true?

Secondly if I say I will repair the patch but not do the full thing and he denies am I legally allowed to just ignore him and let him do what he wants? Can he take me to court or anything because of my builders causing a crack on a service road? His garage is fine, but its just the slope to garage.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
It'll depend a bit on whether your neighbours ramp is on his property or if it extends on to the public road...however if it's within his boundaries, I believe he has it right but it may be covered by your builder's insurance.

The ramp I belive all have it on service Road than the boundaries of house.

The builder is coming tomorrow to see Hut he has already said no but going to see if he can do something

Sponsored Links
Not sure I alway thought it was Council as all house on my road and other side of garden have garage at rear.

So assumed it's Council

Only purchased house in July so don't knkw full details or road ownership sadly. Anyhow I can find out?

If the service road is shared ownership your solicitor should have pointed this out during your pruchase. Look at your own deeds - specifically the map that shows your property boundary does it show the area of your ramp to be within your boundaries?

The dark line ends in edges of house doesn't include the service Road. Does that mean it's not shared ownership? There's no visibility of ramp but I've noticed some have long and some short and some steep ramps so can only assume it's up to owners

Maybe a picture of the road might help - what I'm trying to work out is if the ramps are built on the house plots or on the (council owned) service road...the thing is it would be unusual for a council to allow concrete ramps to be constructed on their property.

e.g. here is a picture of the service road at the back of my old house: https://goo.gl/maps/8eTGrwEjY9D2

The ramps you can see in this photo are built on the house plots - should the same have occurred to these ramps it would effectively be criminal damage as it would be trespass + damage.

whoops that was a cell phone posting disaster lol!!

Please find attatched picture uploaded from a laptop than a phone!

Attachments

• 20160420_090953.jpg
    20160420_090953.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 1,045
  • 20160420_090958.jpg
    20160420_090958.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 1,025
OK the boundary may be a bit fuzzy but I'd say (without seeing a detailed view of the boundary map) that the ramps in the picture are built on the house plots - i.e. not on the public service lane.

In which case I'd probably say your neighbour has it correct - i.e. that your builder/you etc are liable. Some more photos showing the neighbours ramp, the damage done, the road etc. would be good though.

Basically if the neighbours ramp extends beyond his boundary onto the service lane and the damage has been done there (beyond the boundary) then he has got a much weaker case against you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back