Neighbour has knocked hole through wall with purlin. Should I be concerned?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning folks

Hope I’ve posted in the right forum, wasn’t sure if it should be in lofts or building…

I went up the loft yesterday and never noticed until just that the neighbours have had some work done which has involved some timber being knocked through our party wall which supports our purlins.

These are 1850s terraced houses and I’m pretty sure all walls are single leaf.

Should I be concerned about what has been done here? They’re elderly and good neighbours so didn’t want to kick up a fuss without getting some advice on here first.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_7060.jpeg
    IMG_7060.jpeg
    481.2 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_7062.jpeg
    IMG_7062.jpeg
    411.4 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_7066.jpeg
    IMG_7066.jpeg
    427.4 KB · Views: 118
Sponsored Links
Should I be concerned about what has been done here? They’re elderly and good neighbours so didn’t want to kick up a fuss without getting some advice on here first.

Do you know why, or what the timber is intended to support?

Looks like you've had one of those houses where all the lofts had no wall between them and it has been sectioned off with those breeze blocks. If you get in well with them and they are elderly, I wouldn’t bother too much about it myself.

Looks like you've had one of those houses where all the lofts had no wall between them and it has been sectioned off with those breeze blocks. If you get in well with them and they are elderly, I wouldn’t bother too much about it myself.
Correct, a firewall as put in as part of the mortgage agreement

Appreciate your thoughts thank you. It was more I’m concerned about the structure and safety of that wall supporting the purlin

Sponsored Links
Do you know why, or what the timber is intended to support?
I’ve no idea what it’s for. I don’t recall this being there, I’m pretty attentive to this kind of thing. I’m concerned about the structure now, and that wall was filled in to be a firewall. Now they’ve opened it up essentially.

I would be concerned about fire safety, there are rules about preventing spread of fire between buildings, a purlin protruding into your loft space must undermine that even if not in breach of the building regs.

Blup

Fix a couple of layers of plasterboard over the offending joists, screwed into the brickwork and sealed with some intumescent sealant. In reality that brickwork would probably let plenty of smoke through but at least some PB would help prevent the fire spreading. Anything they do from their side will be quite obstructive.

I’ve no idea what it’s for. I don’t recall this being there, I’m pretty attentive to this kind of thing. I’m concerned about the structure now, and that wall was filled in to be a firewall. Now they’ve opened it up essentially.

Well, as you seem to be on good terms with them, why not ask them what it is for, and explain your concerns about fire proofing.

Imho you need to invite your neighbour round and show them what has happened.

imho it’s their cost to make good

and they should really have had a party wall agreement in place too

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back