Neighbour's chimney leaking into our bedroom.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

I live on a terrace and our neighbour’s chimney is leaking smoke into our bedroom. This often involves only a fairly intense smell of smoke (horrible) but we also noticed one night a smokey haze in the room. We obviously want to get this sorted.

I’ve discussed it with the neighbour and it turns out he’s never got the chimney swept. I was wondering where I stand. The chimney is on the party wall but it is not shared. It’s his chimney. He originally accepted it was his responsibility but has since come back to me querying whether perhaps this was a party-wall issue and we both should pay.

Anyway, those are legal issues – on a DIY basis, any advice on finding the cracks letting the smoke into our house? We can see nothing at all; it just seems to diffuse into that room.
Thanks again,
Ioang.

Sponsored Links
I'd be more worried about Carbon Monoxide (CO) than the smoke. I don't think chimney flues are covered by the party wall act and it's the responsibility of the owner of the chimney flue as regards it's upkeep.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back