Neighbours dodgy boiler install

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, could you give me some advice? Forgive some of my names of things, but I'm not sure of their proper title in relation to boilers!

About two or so years ago, my next door neighbour had his central heating replaced by a 'corgi' registered guy he has worked with in his job and the 'vent pipe' out of the back of the bolier both sticks out two feet over my boundary and its a foot away from the side wall of my house. When I had my boiler replaced two years ago, my plumber questioned the neighbours installation as being illegal on a number of accounts (over the boundary, too close to an existing structure, and the pipe that dumps water from the condensing bolier each month lying open near the ground by the side of my house instead of being joined into the waste pipe. To safeguard my wall from damp, he suggested I speak to my neighbour who I get on with very well. I've asked my neigbour constantly over two years and he promises to force his fitter to sort it and he's also chasing the fitter for the installation certificate as he has now put his house up to sell but nothing yet has happened.

Can he sell without an installation certificate? I'm concerned that he knows his installation is illegal but hasn't the money to get the boiler moved to a legal location which would mess up his new kitchen somewhat. Where do I stand, and how shoudl I best handle this?

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
In reality, there is nothing you can do without spending fortunes on litigation.
There is no legal obligation to supply any certificates for gas, water or electrics when you sell a house.
Some lawyers ask for it, some don't, but it is only a way of creating more work for themselves and cover their own backsides.
Sort out the problems between yourself and the neighbour, and share the cost.

Thanks Bengasman. I'm not bothered about the vent pipe coming over the boundary as the area is dead space between my house and his. I'm more concerned about safeguarding my wall. My plumber suggested my neighbour change the flue so the vent pipe emits the steam back over the top of his flat roof extension into open air and route the overflow water pipe back across to his property so it doesn't splash over the our brickwork. I'm not looking to upset, nor cause unecessary issues with my neighbour.
Is there any reason I should share the cost of a neigbour's bad install?

Surely when a 'gas-safe' engineer services the boiler, he has an obligation to check its legality, or am I wrong?

Plume is a nuisance, but unlikely a safety issue.
Sharing cost from practical point of view, the English legal/justice system is a joke.
Litigation will take years and cost thousands, plume diverter plus condensate correction less than £200 normally and can all be sorted by next week

Sponsored Links
Appreciate that. If he can't get his installer to fix his own work, I'll get my plumber round to price it and sort the cost between us. I've a feeling he hasn't got the money to throw around, and nor have I.

Thanks for the advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back