Neighbours Illegal Development

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

A neighbour some doors up from me has started to construct a large (6m x 2.5m) raised decking area with surrounding wall at the rear of their garage. This is on council land as the end of their garage is where their property ends. They are essentially building it in the rear access driveway that goes round the back of the houses for vehicular access to garages etc. Aside from it not being their land to build on, it will restrict access to vehicles in the rear driveway and is very selfish. Access wont be fully blocked but still very much restricted. They seem to think that nobody will challenge them about it so they can do what they like (that is their attitude full stop anyway). If this was reported to the council, will they actually do anything about this? Thank you.

Sponsored Links
check to see if he/she had planning permission with the council. Unless he owns the land/property. Take a photo to submit to the planning dept,.

I have checked the land registry (have access via my job) and they do not own the land. It is Council property.

Sponsored Links
I have checked the land registry (have access via my job) and they do not own the land. It is Council property.
Just to note that everyone has access to the land registry; there's just a modest fee for downloading title plans.

Yes you correct about the land registry access. Have spoken with a couple of neighbours who hadn't yet noticed what was going on and they agree it is totally unacceptable. Will be speaking to the council next week and wait to see what they say.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back