Neighbours Leaking Flat Roof in a Garage Block - Help pls!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our Garage flat roof was replaced as it was leaking, it is situated within a block of flat roof garages. Our Neighbours garage roof to the left is in a bad state and needs to be replaced, the neighbour to the right is also not in a great condition. Because both Neighbours Roofs need replacing I believe it is causing rain water to seep into our garage, both down the connecting walls and along the wooden joists inside. Thus getting our stored items wet and in some cases causing mould to form on certain items.

My questions is this - do my neighbours have a legal obligation to maintain their garage roofs within a block of garages as it is causing a detremental effect on our garage and belongings?

My other question is - Although we had a new covering on our flat roof, it still holds up to 2" of water in the middle and doesn't drain off into the gutter at the front, is it normal/ok to have standing water on the top of a flat roof? Or will this in turn cause the roof to leak over time? My roofer assures us that standing water on a flat roof is fine and wont be a cause of internal leaking..

Any help with this would be great! Thanks

Sponsored Links
Can't help on the neighbouring roofs, other than thinking it may be covered in the lease, but probably not.

You don't mention what the roof covering is. Butyl, mineral felt, what?

Generally pooling water is bad only in the cosmetic sense, or because it suggests a fault with the underboarding or supports as nobody designs a roof to have an integral pond.

Thanks. The Houses and Garages are privately owned not leased, I would like to know if we can insist that they have their roofs replaced if it is found to be their roof causing our garage to leak.

The Roof was redone approx 2 yrs ago with the standard stuff used for flat roofs (dont know what its called!) with a 10yr guarantee. Am guessing that the actual roof had a dip in it and this was never repaired, just recovered thus resulting in the continuous pool of water forming in the middle.

But if anyone knows the legal view on what I can do, if anything, to make the neighbours repair their roof I'd love to know!

IANAL... But I imagine the view is generally that if their negligence caused damage on your property, you would have a claim against them.

However - small claims court would probably be more favourable if you could document a clear history of trying to sort it out politely before going to them, so ask 'em nicely - but do keep a diary of what was sent, when and how.

Sponsored Links
Compulsory maintenance orders served on both if they dont sort roofs, council will deal with it, phone & ask after liasing with adjoining garage property owners

Compulsory maintenance orders served on both if they dont sort roofs, council will deal with it, phone & ask after liasing with adjoining garage property owners

Hi,
I have the same problem as the OP and wondered why you posted that council will deal with it if the garages are privately owned?

Thanks for your reply. Are you saying that the local council will sort out a problem for a privately owned garage?

Yea, just like that, ring 'em up and they'll pay 'em a visit the very next day, then serve them with an order the very next day. Oh yea just like that!

Well_I cant speak about down South, but up here in Scotland the councils just love sticking their noses into everything, if you had problems they would DEAL with it.

Yea, just like that, ring 'em up and they'll pay 'em a visit the very next day, then serve them with an order the very next day. Oh yea just like that!

I also live in Devon, and we have the same problem. Unfortunately East Devon District Council say they can do nothing. Can you give me some more information, please.

I also live in Devon, and we have the same problem. Unfortunately East Devon District Council say they can do nothing. Can you give me some more information, please.

It's not going to happen. Poster was taking the michael.......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back