Neighbour's pressure washer causing our lights to pulse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The other day I noticed that all our lights were pulsing, like they do when you switch on the kettle or some such device. It was quite annoying actually so I did some research to find out what was causing it. Eventually I worked out that the pulses were in time with the pump of next door's pressure washer when it was in an idle state. As soon as the neighbour starts spraying the pulsing stops until he goes back to standby.

My question is, is this a problem? Should his power use be affecting my circuits like that? Anything I can do?

Sponsored Links
Do you live in a remote(ish) rural area ?
Do you know if you are a long way from your electrical transformer ?
Has this always been the case with large loads in your house (eg kettle, electric shower, cooker, immersion heater) ?
Has this just started happening with the washer or has he only just got it ?

While the washer is running the pump is probably running continuously so there is not start-up current. Once the washer trigger is released it only has to cut in and out to maintain pressure hence frequent starts so frequent voltage dips.
Tell him to put a new o-ring in the output connection !

We live in a semi-urban area. Long road of semis. The kettle does pulse the lights a little. He's had the washer for longer than we've been in the house, but I'm not aware of it being an issue. Then again, he usually only uses it in broad daylight so we don't have the lights on at the same time. This time he was using it early evening on a very cloudy day and for a long time.

The pulsing of your lights is due to the washer's starting current causing a voltage drop along the street cable.

Strictly speaking if the motor in the washer is more than 1 kilowatt then he should have declared it to the DNO due to the effect its starting current will have on the local supply network.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back