Neighbours tree roots

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any advice please.
My neighbour has a large tree in his garden the roots have encroached onto my lands and are now starting to cause issue with my property (drains, paths etc)
I have spoken to the neighbour and he has refused to do anything about his trees.!
Is there anything I can do to get him to reduce the height and minimise further damage and be responsible to pay for the issues caused by his trees ?

Sponsored Links
Start digging and cutting and return the roots to your neighbour as they are his "property".

Copper nails pounded into the roots, holes drilled and engine oil / weedkiller poured in.

Sponsored Links
No. The law permits you to abate the nuisance by cutting back roots and/or branches to your boundary. That is not criminal damage. However, if your actions cause the tree to die, you could be held responsible by the tree owner. It's wise before undertaking any such cutting to check that the tree is not protected and that it's not located in a conservation area. It would also be courteous to inform the tree owner of your intentions.

No. The law permits you to abate the nuisance by cutting back roots and/or branches to your boundary. That is not criminal damage. However, if your actions cause the tree to die, you could be held responsible by the tree owner. It's wise before undertaking any such cutting to check that the tree is not protected and that it's not located in a conservation area. It would also be courteous to inform the tree owner of your intentions.

Quite right.

To add to this, your neighbour could be liable for damages if the roots damage your property. It might be that the legal action would be pursued by your insurer, it might be worth asking them for advice. Once you have checked with them, you could let your neighbour know. He/she may well become more amenable. It does sound like he/she acts from self interest.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back