Neighbour's waste coming my way

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm in a block of flats, the waste pipe is shared with the flat next door. I get a small amount of the neighbour's waste at the bottom of my toilet.

From reading other posts I think it is either a partial blockage, or the slope on the horizontal waste pipe is not enough. The neighbour's waste pipe joins the horizontal pipe about a foot downstream of my toilet exit. I've seen that the slope should be 1 in 23 (thanks Softus) but it is boxed in so I can't tell.

Do I hire a camera to look down the toilet for a blockage - if so which one?

Do I measure the slope and if it is not enough then what next? Is the only solution changing the pipe (major work of course) or is there a work-around?

Is there some other possible issue?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
How old are the flats?
Are they new build?
Is it a new conversion?
Is it rented?

The flats are late 60's, not a conversion. There are twenty in the block.

I'm the owner, the neighbour's is rented.

if its been in since the 60s i wouldn't of said its a pipe design problem.

would of said its a blockage.

Sponsored Links
I would think that if its been ok since the 60's the slope will not have changed so I think you must have a blockage.

The problem is that you are suffering from it & may not have caused it, but will have to deal with it.

Are there any inspection points that you can see?

Thanks for your view Diyisfun, do you know which camera I should hire to look and clear it? Is it a drain camera or a pipeline? Do you know if they come with lights?

Also, I should have said that I don't get my own waste coming back, when the neighbour's flat is empty the toilet is clean.

:oops: thanks seco services as well.

It has always been a problem since I've been living here (a few years) not sure about before.

I'm not sure what inspection points look like, the vertical pipe goes upwards and probably vents onto the roof but I can't go up there.

i know the council where jetting alot of them where we had problems on a forest gate block of flats.
if next door is renting off the council get them to report the problem.

It's a private block no council flats at all. If it is a shared pipe then I know I might not be responsible, but it is a lot of hassle getting anything done, if I can just hire a camera for £100 and sort it that is great.

Do you know what sort of camera I should hire?

just get a drainage company from your area they'll have the lot easyer then.
try dynorod.

Ok seco services, I tried one company earlier today and they said they don't have cameras you can put round toilet bends. Will try dynorod though.

Anybody else think it could be a waste pipe angle issue? It would be reassuring if everybody thinks it is a partial blockage.

It's not normal practice to run a camera down the toilet bowl as the camera will scratch the pan, also the skids on a decent camera won't fit round the u bend.

Most people will remove the toilet & camera down the stack, if there are no access points.

Yes Dynorod have all the gear.

Very doubtful its a fall issue if it's been in since the 60's.
Sounds more like a partial blockage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back