Nest 3rd generation inquiry

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just moved to a new property and braved myself to get a nest 3rd gen thermostat. Previously I did setup tado with an extension unit to control HW on my previous property with the assistance of tado support team so i thought to change over to nest. However i realised their support is not the same as i experienced in the past with tado so I am a bit stuck.

My current property has a boiler glow worm 15r energy installed with drayton LP522 programmer next to the boiler and a honeywell wired thermostat in a different location. The plan is to replace the LP522 with nest heatlink and the honeywell with the nest unit.

Existing wiring diagram of the LP522:
IMG_0137.JPG

Existing wiring of the honeywell:
IMG_0138.JPG

From my understanding by reading various similar discussions I may have to "rewire" or modify the connections of the wired central unit where the tank resides. I hope that this is not the case and i will be able to accomplish my plan without this. Is this possible?

Here is the wiring of the wired central unit next to the tank in the airing cabinet:

IMG_0139.JPG

IMG_0140.JPG

Could you please advice the wiring arrangements required for the LP522-> Heatlink & Honeywell -> nest display?

Many thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
The LP522 wiring terminals are thus:

lp522-jpg.141746

The existing wires are simply moved from the terminals of the LP522 to the terminals of the Nest Heat link that have the same function. Don't worry about terminal 2 not having a wire in it, very few do. If your system doesn't need it now, you won't need it with the Nest.

heatlink-jpg.141747

So:
LP522 N = Heat link N
LP522 L = Heat link L
LP522 1 HW off = Heat link 4 Hot Water Satisfied
LP522 3 HW on = Heat link 6 Hot Water Call for Heat
LP522 4 CH on = Heat link 3 Heating Call for Heat

The Heat link common terminals (2 & 5) need to be wired with links to the Heat link L terminal

The Nest thermostat can be powered by wiring it to Heat link T1 & T2 terminals, or alternatively by using a separate plug in 12V power supply for it.

The existing wired room thermostat can't simply be disconnected as this would leave the heating wiring 'open circuit' and it would not operate. So you can:

1. Leave the existing room thermostat in place and set it to its maximum setting and leave it there, this will prevent it overriding the Nest. Or,

2. Find the origin of the thermostat cable. Note where the wires are connected and disconnect the cable. Then link the terminals where the two ‘live’ switching wires came from together. (This will probably be in the wiring centre) The Neutral, is simply disconnected. Or,

3. Remove the existing thermostat and replace it with a junction box, connect the two ‘live’ switching wires together and isolate the neutral. Or,

4. Leave the existing room thermostat in place and join the ‘live’ switching wires together in a separate connector that you can tuck away in the corner of it.

Your existing thermostat looks like a T6360B if it is, the live switching wires are connected to terminals [1] and [3] as can be seen from the diagram below. This diagram should also be printed inside the thermostat.

Capture.JPG

Check the thermostat carefully though, because if it is a T6360B different wiring colours to the norm have been used for wiring yours up. Normally red and yellow are used for the live wires that go to terminals [1] and [3], yours uses red and blue instead. But it will work provided they are also transposed at the other end of the cable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back