Nest Gen 2 install help...

Ok now I know its a gravity system you will have to make a small change in the wiring, remove the link in the heatlink and turn on the central heating on the drayton, you should be back to what you had before.

20200409_184754_li-jpg.188340

...and connect the brown wire to L or #2? (if I remove the link, the remaining brown is connected to #2 presently...)

Sponsored Links
Sorry mate I have managed to confuse my self.... put the link back and the central heating to on at the drayton, you should then be back to exactly what you had before.

Sorry mate I have managed to confuse my self.... put the link back and the central heating to on at the drayton, you should then be back to exactly what you had before.

If I put the link back and the central heating to on, I'll be where I was at the start of the thread?

Yes the wiring will be the same as you had at the start of the thread, the nest has simply taken place of your old stat and whatever problem you have is not being caused by the changes made, maybe then we can suss out whats causing the boiler to cycle.

Sponsored Links
So, here's what happens with it connected that way...

With the heating and hot water turned off at the Drayton controller, obviously all is silent. If I go to the Nest, it has a message about not being able to control the heating (as expected I guess).

If I turn the heating to constant on the Drayton, I hear the boiler immediately spring into some sort of life, but there is still no connectivity at the Nest because it needs to be paired, which I have to do each time I turn the heating on/off at the Drayton.

Once I pair the Nest and turn the heating up on the Nest, I hear further activity from the boiler.

This is what makes me think the hot water is essentially performing as though on 'constant' despite being turned off at the Drayton, once I turn the heating on at the Drayton. Then when I get the Nest up and running, that controls the heating as planned, I hear the boiler running constantly until temperature is reached.

I think the heating is working sufficiently, it's the hot water that seems to be playing up.

Then, if I turn the heating down on the Nest or it reaches it's target temperature, I hear the boiler stop, but it seems to continue firing up every 15-20 minutes in spite of this (although I haven't proved it, I think it's what the boiler would do if I ran the hot water on it's own in it's old configuration with just the Drayton, whether that's right or wrong).

To be clear, this house is antiquated and only a 1-2 year thing for us. I was just hoping to get the Nest connected because I have it, but perhaps I need to throw in the towel with it?

Ok its the gravity hot water that's the problem, you need to run a permanent live to the nest and remove the link, don't swop any thing round just a live to L on the nest.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Ok its the gravity hot water that's the problem, you need to run a permanent live to the nest and remove the link, don't swop any thing round just a live to L on the nest.

So, connect the current brown wire to the L on the Nest? No link the #2?

Or do you mean bring a further permanent live into the current config?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back