Nest Install (3rd Gen)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Sorry to create yet another Nest thread, I've searched and seen there are quite a few, but none of them quite match my system and I don't really want to break anything!

I have a gas boiler in the kitchen along with a programmer (ESI ES 2-24/7) and a wired thermostat in the hallway. Upstairs in a cupboard there's a hot water tank. I'm pretty sure the system is Y-plan. There's a small junction box with 10 connectors in the cupboard with the hot water tank but none of the connectors appear to be labelled.

From what I've read I think I can just replace the programmer with the Nest HeatLink and the old wired thermostat can be replaced with the Nest thermostat as long as I use the 12v outputs on the HeatLink to power the new thermostat.

I've attached images of the backplates and wiring diagrams for my current programmer and thermostat. The basic HeatLink wiring info can be found here https://s3.amazonaws.com/support-assets.nest.com/images/Amber/a2-cables/a2-cables.jpg

I was going to:

1) Move the grey/brown wires that go between N and L on the programmer and the thermostat into T1 and T2 on the HeatLink to power the new thermostat.
2) Move the 2 wires from the programmer N to the HeatLink N
3) Move the 2 wires from the programmer L to the HeatLink L
4) Move the wire from the programmer CH ON (4) to the HeatLink CH call-for-heat (3)
5) Move the wire from the programmer HW ON (3) to the HeatLink HW call-for-heat (6)

Would this work? If not what's wrong that I need to do differently?

Many thanks for reading.

Matt

Attachments

• programmer backplate.jpg
    programmer backplate.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 1,131
  • programmer wiring diagram.jpg
    programmer wiring diagram.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 749
  • thermostat backplate.jpg
    thermostat backplate.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 539
  • thermostat wiring diagram.jpg
    thermostat wiring diagram.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 581
Sponsored Links
as Dan,it's not that your system is unique it is that you haven't been able to understand the plentiful information already out there. Not having a go but getting it wrong could be more costly than paying a pro to fit it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

Sorry to create yet another Nest thread, I've searched and seen there are quite a few, but none of them quite match my system and I don't really want to break anything!

I have a gas boiler in the kitchen along with a programmer (ESI ES 2-24/7) and a wired thermostat in the hallway. Upstairs in a cupboard there's a hot water tank. I'm pretty sure the system is Y-plan. There's a small junction box with 10 connectors in the cupboard with the hot water tank but none of the connectors appear to be labelled.

From what I've read I think I can just replace the programmer with the Nest HeatLink and the old wired thermostat can be replaced with the Nest thermostat as long as I use the 12v outputs on the HeatLink to power the new thermostat.

I've attached images of the backplates and wiring diagrams for my current programmer and thermostat. The basic HeatLink wiring info can be found here https://s3.amazonaws.com/support-assets.nest.com/images/Amber/a2-cables/a2-cables.jpg

I was going to:

1) Move the grey/brown wires that go between N and L on the programmer and the thermostat into T1 and T2 on the HeatLink to power the new thermostat.
2) Move the 2 wires from the programmer N to the HeatLink N
3) Move the 2 wires from the programmer L to the HeatLink L
4) Move the wire from the programmer CH ON (4) to the HeatLink CH call-for-heat (3)
5) Move the wire from the programmer HW ON (3) to the HeatLink HW call-for-heat (6)

Would this work? If not what's wrong that I need to do differently?

Many thanks for reading.

Matt

don't be a cheapskate & get a pro. Or you may end up costing yourself a lot of money...

Sponsored Links
Hi,

As a newbie, and not being able to figure out how to start a new thread, i thought i would start with an easy one.

I have a Saunier Duval Isomax F28e combi boiler which has a remote (hard wired) Saunier Duval Isocom programmer/thermostat. I plan to use the Nest wirelessly so i don't have to worry about T1 & T2.

My confusion lies with what cables i connect to the Heat Link. I think i'm right in just taking L & N from the boiler side of the isolator switch, but do i just re-use the former cable that ran to the Isocom and plug it in to 2 & 3 on the Heat Link? I don't want to fry my boiler panel.

Any advice appreciated.

Fosty.

Hi,

As a newbie, and not being able to figure out how to start a new thread, i thought i would start with an easy one.

I have a Saunier Duval Isomax F28e combi boiler which has a remote (hard wired) Saunier Duval Isocom programmer/thermostat. I plan to use the Nest wirelessly so i don't have to worry about T1 & T2.

My confusion lies with what cables i connect to the Heat Link. I think i'm right in just taking L & N from the boiler side of the isolator switch, but do i just re-use the former cable that ran to the Isocom and plug it in to 2 & 3 on the Heat Link? I don't want to fry my boiler panel.

Any advice appreciated.

Fosty.

What you are suggesting won't work.

Jon

Any suggestions? Nothing seems straightforward with Nests diagrams. What are A and B on the Low Voltage combi boiler diagram? Assuming that is the diagram I need to follow.

Fosty

Any suggestions? Nothing seems straightforward with Nests diagrams. What are A and B on the Low Voltage combi boiler diagram? Assuming that is the diagram I need to follow.

Fosty

Nest wiring diagrams are very straightforward. Probably one of the easiest to read out there.

If your struggling with those and how to create a thread on a forum then best getting in someone that doesn't.

A pro will work out cheaper than a new PCB or Nest when you inevitably f00k it up

Jon

Alright, remind me not to ask for advice again. Oh, a little less rudeness wouldn't go amiss either.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back