1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Nest Power Issue

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by Andy Byford, 2 Aug 2021.

1. Andy Byford

Andy Byford

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone could give some advice regarding my nest. It's been installed for around a year and a half and has been working spot on for all this time.

Today I realised the thermostat was not connected to the heat link, upon further investigation it turns out the heat link has no power going to it at all.

The thermostat is wired via a mains plug and stand so is separate power circuit.

The strange thing is, when I plug a USB power cable into the front of the heat link, the lights come on and the thermostat can connect to it (however it does not control the boiler still when you set it to heat). The heat link replaced an old programmer and used the existing wiring.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing the issue? Wiring all looks OK and nothing in the house has changes recently. Not sure if there is a fuse located somewhere that could have blown?

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. Sponsored Links
  3. CBW

CBW

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It’s possible a fuse has blown. What type of system do you have? S pls, y-plan, combi boiler?

4. Andy Byford

Andy Byford

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I have an S plan system I believe, with 2 port valves.

5. CBW

CBW

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    So you havbe a hot water cylinder and tank in the loft? If so, the fused spur connection is likely to be the vicinity of the heat link

6. Andy Byford

Andy Byford

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Slightly different to that as we had a loft conversion so we no longer have a tank, we have a cylinder and 2 shower pumps like this photo.

Attached Files:

7. CBW

CBW

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Well, it’ll be powered from somewhere, once found check the fuse, or anything else that might be connected to it.

8. Sponsored Links
  9. stem

stem

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    That's what I would expect. If there isn't a mains power supply to the boiler and Heat link, then when you then supply power to the Heatlink via USB then the lights will come on, however as there still isn't any power to the boiler it won't work.

As Chris says you need to find out where the power to the heating system originates from. Usually there's a fused spur adjacent to the boiler, or the main wiring centre. Something like this:

• Like Like x 2
  10. Andy Byford

Andy Byford

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for the reply,

I have had a good look and have had no luck finding a fused spur near the boiler (there is one off a mains socket that powers another nearby socket but that's all) or near the wiring in the tank cupboard centre, or near the heat link. There is one linked to my tank that links to down stairs in the kitchen but that's all live and fine.

The only other place I can think is underneath my kitchen counter behind the cupboards as that is under the heat link, however this has all the cupboard backs on and is inaccessible to check without removing the whole set of cupboards. The boiler used to be in this kitchen area before it was moved to the garage when we got a new one, so if the spur was anywhere I would imagine here.

Any tips to check before removing cupboards to see if it's behind them?

Thanks

11. CBW

CBW

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Is the boiler working?

12. Andy Byford

Andy Byford

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Yeah boiler is on and is still heating the water fine, it's literally just the heat link that's not working

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. ianmcd

ianmcd

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Follow the L,N&E fles from the boiler , it should be connected to the fused spur

• Like Like x 1