Nest self-install guidance

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've just succumbed to the lure of a prime day 3rd gen Nest and am currently considering whether to shell out for pro installation or give it a crack myself (I'd like the challenge, if it's going to be possible!).

My current setup is as follows:
  • Boiler: Glow-worm Ultracom sxi (system condensing) w/ separate cylinder, located in a downstairs cupboard
  • Programmer: Iflo hw & heating 24/7, located on wall next to boiler
  • Stat: Invensys RTS 1, located in downstairs hallway (3 wires to N, L & 3 connections)
From what I've read, the sensible option would be to have the heat link replace the programmer next to the boiler which would become redundant. I don't think I can replace the current stat with the heat link (and leave the programmer on) as it's only got a heating call, not water.

For the Nest thermostat I'm undecided as to whether to;

a) Put it on the wall to directly replace the RTS 1 stat (in which case, what would I need to do in terms of the current wiring?)
b) Have it elsewhere on a stand, powered from the mains plug (assume i'd still need to decom the stat wiring anyway)

Does this plan make sense - is there anything that I may not have considered (other than the fact I actually need to work out the wiring!)? Also, will the ultracom is cause me problems & require a gas safe engineer, as the Nest page here suggests the ultracom2 sxi requires it?

Appreciate any advice from those in the know!

Sponsored Links
Heat Link goes in your airing cupboard next to your cylinder usually. You need to find the wiring centre and wire it in there

A good system but get the feeling that you would be better with a pro, if , if you can do it fair play , but sometimes not as simple as it sounds

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back