netaheat no main burner lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. May I say at the start I have no intention of carrying out any work myself but I would appreciate a heads up on what this problem may be so that I can evaluate the economic viability of my old boiler.

It is a Netaheat 10-16 Mk2 F (yes I know they are regarded as widowmakers but its done ok these last 20 or so years).

Power on, fan starts, pilot lights. Then nothing. The pilot will happily stay on until turned off, but the main burners will not light. I am assuming the pressure switch is ok or the pilot would not have lit at all? This comes from what I remember being told once. Can anyone advise what the most common reason for this no burner start tends to be?

Also, can anyone tell me what the best replacement boiler would be? As in the boiler that would require the least re-routing of pipes etc. I can see a big bill coming up here.

thanks

S

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you mercury vapour switch is up the swanny.

On the mkII this has a 3 pin plug that plugs into the gas valve. As the pilot heats the phial it expands the mecury into vapour, which in turn expands down the capilary tubes pushing open the gas valve allowing full gas to the burner.

Like you said this should be done by a CORGI Engineer.

As for a replacemnet, these boilers were normally installed with gravity hot water, which is not allowed anymore, therefore you will need to get the system updated to fully pumped. Worcester Ri range would be my choice.

The mercury switch ( if it is that ) is often difficult to find and about £130 if you can!

A Worcester 15 Ri is a good simple replacement although many other boilers can be used.

Tony

I'm pulling out a Netaheat next week,don't know the model but customer tells me it's about 28 years old (poss a MK1) but if it's got a vapour switch you can have it.

I have a relay (11 pin) from one I pulled out last month.

Sponsored Links
I'm pulling out a Netaheat next week,don't know the model but customer tells me it's about 28 years old (poss a MK1) but if it's got a vapour switch you can have it.

I have a relay (11 pin) from one I pulled out last month.

Hi well if you don't want the vapour switch I'd be happy to have it and get someone to fit it for me! Thanks.

The credit crunch has bitten here too so I dont really want to get a new boiler (I'm looking at around £1400 supply and fit aren't I?) but then the netaheat is probably hideously inefficient. I mean the case gets very hot and surely all heat should be in the pipes really?

S

That price is probably about right.

It depends on what is required. We did a Worcester 12Ri for about £1340 but there were no additional controls or TRVs needed there.

If you have gravity HW then you will need a full set of controls and we would have to add about £240 for a new programmer, two stats and a motorised valve.

You can get a better deal with a new boiler during the summer and it might be better getting the boiler repaired now and then replaced next July. Savings would be about 35% of gas bill.

Tony

That price is probably about right.

It depends on what is required. We did a Worcester 12Ri for about £1340 but there were no additional controls or TRVs needed there.

If you have gravity HW then you will need a full set of controls and we would have to add about £240 for a new programmer, two stats and a motorised valve.

You can get a better deal with a new boiler during the summer and it might be better getting the boiler repaired now and then replaced next July. Savings would be about 35% of gas bill.

Tony

Yes that makes sense I suppose. Assuming I am still employed and solvent next summer!

It is a gravity feed

Thanks

S

Sorry guys but I think you will find the mk1 vapour switch is completely different to the mk2. The mk1 requires stripping the gas valve and is a complete nightmare to fit. Potterton learnt their lessson on the mkII and made it a 3 pin connector, but the two are incompatible.

Sorry guys but I think you will find the mk1 vapour switch is completely different to the mk2. The mk1 requires stripping the gas valve and is a complete nightmare to fit. Potterton learnt their lessson on the mkII and made it a 3 pin connector, but the two are incompatible.

ah well if it is a Mk2 do let me know please and I will get it tried out.

Otherwise I am a bit torn between simply getting the boiler replaced -its been a good workhorse but there is an intermittent water leak from inside and I may now be throwing good money after bad chasing these problems. It had a new spark gen a few months back, before that a relay. Next who knows?

S

The Netaheat intermittent leak is easilly repaired. The gaskit seals for the two panels on the heat exchanger are cheap and relatively easy to replace once the boiler is drained down. Get an RGI to sort the gaskits and replace the pilot mercury ffd. There's a lot of life left in a mk11, all the spare parts are available.

The Netaheat intermittent leak is easilly repaired. The gaskit seals for the two panels on the heat exchanger are cheap and relatively easy to replace once the boiler is drained down. Get an RGI to sort the gaskits and replace the pilot mercury ffd. There's a lot of life left in a mk11, all the spare parts are available.

Thanks for that. It's looking increasingly an option as costs for a new one are spiralling now with the apparent need for a new larger gas pipe run. It is amazing how hard it is to get any Corgi engineer to actually return a call about a replacement quote and three times this week I have waited in for a visit and three separate engineers have failed to turn up ! One quote so far is 2500

S

what I had written was rubbish.

Partially blocked pilot or relay possibly.

Dave

A replacement complete gas valve is £175.00 +vat (trade at Curzon) if the pilot assembly checks out as ok.

Thanks for that. It's looking increasingly an option as costs for a new one are spiralling now with the apparent need for a new larger gas pipe run. It is amazing how hard it is to get any Corgi engineer to actually return a call about a replacement quote and three times this week I have waited in for a visit and three separate engineers have failed to turn up ! One quote so far is 2500

S

I really find that very hard to believe. Most installers are very keen to keep their order books full and will rush round very promptly.

Perhaps there is some other feature that applies, for examply you only want them to come after 7 pm or something? Possibly the words you have used make it sound as if you are "collecting quotes".

We dont visit free to give quotes but instead ask questions on the phone and give a budgetary quote. If thats acceptable then we will visit and give a written quote.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back