Netatmo Smart Modulating Thermostat - Compatible combi boilers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We currently have a Netatmo Smart Thermostat and a combi boiler, we have also invested in smart valves for each room. This thermostat has no control off the hot water, just central heating.

We are now going through a building extension and need to upgrade the boiler, Netatmo have a new smart thermostat that can control hot water, but I'm trying to understand what boiler would be required.

They state that the boiler needs to be Opentherm compatible with an integrated hot water tank, for us would that mean a storage combi boiler (Not just an ordinary combi boiler)

Sponsored Links
Why do you want to control the hot water on a combi boiler with a smart thermostat. Are you just talking about changing the temperature of the water going to the taps? I don't see what else you could change.

FWIW, having read the FAQs, I actually think they are talking about controlling heat only boilers with a cylinder, but it is a bit ambiguous.

Last edited:
Who has stated it must be opentherm compatible? Which boiler are you considering? Why Does the boiler need to be changed?

Who has stated it must be opentherm compatible? Which boiler are you considering? Why Does the boiler need to be changed?

This is what the FAQs say:

https://helpcenter.netatmo.com/hc/e...-How-does-the-Domestic-Hot-Water-control-work

The Modulating Thermostat can only control the Domestic Hot Water of OpenTherm boilers equipped with a water tank.

Like for the heating, a planning can be created to turn ON or OFF your water heater depending on your needs. You can also check and modify the domestic hot water temperature from the mobile app in the parameters of your Thermostat:

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
Why do you want to control the hot water on a combi boiler with a smart thermostat. Are you just talking about changing the temperature of the water going to the taps? I don't see what else you could change.

FWIW, having read the FAQs, I actually think they are talking about controlling heat only boilers with a cylinder, but it is a bit ambiguous.
You make a good point, I had been talking to the father in law and he had the same problem so ended up looking at solutions.

But, one massive difference is he doesn't have a combi boiler, so he does need to control when hot water comes on. With a combi it doesn't make sense having a schedule as it heats the water on demand.

Can combi boilers be configured to always have hot water on, without buying a separate controller?

Opentherm is from the Netatmo website.
I'm not considering any boiler at the moment, the Netatmo controller would have helped determine that.
Boiler needs to be changed as we're building an extension with ufh and it isn't powerful enough

• Thanks
Most would advise against a combi boiler unless you have a small house with only one bathroom. Before you decide on a boiler make sure you have had a heat loss calculation done.

Boiler needs to be changed as we're building an extension with ufh and it isn't powerful enough

Are you sure? Most combi boilers already have far too much power for the central heating side of things. What power is your current combi?

Can combi boilers be configured to always have hot water on, without buying a separate controller?
Not sure about storage combi’s, but a standard combi works on demand, so it’s always ready/on, if that makes sense.

Ok, what Kw rating is existing and is the extension having hot water demand or just ufh?

Not sure about storage combi’s, but a standard combi works on demand, so it’s always ready/on, if that makes sense.
Definitely makes sense, at the moment I'm thinking we can just use our existing Netatmo controller, then just have the combi boiler set for hot water all the time instead of on a timer.

The only confusion I have is why there's another controller on the old boiler, I'll check tonight

Definitely makes sense, at the moment I'm thinking we can just use our existing Netatmo controller, then just have the combi boiler set for hot water all the time instead of on a timer.

The only confusion I have is why there's another controller on the old boiler, I'll check tonight
A combi boiler doesn't have a timer for hot water otherwise you won't have any hot water when you need it.

So just had a look at the old boiler, in addition to the Netatmo there is a Drayton Digistat SCR and a Honeywell ST9100S that we had connected, I've never touched them since I moved in.

The Honeywell was wired into the mains and the Digistat, the Digistat was then wired to the 230V terminal in the boiler (Only the Live, Neutral and Earth, 2 other cables were not connected to the boiler).
The Netatmo was wired to the 230V terminal and RT terminal.

I'm guessing that whoever installed the Netatmo decided not to remove the old thermostats, when they should have wired from the mains to the boiler

• Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back