Network switch with wifi for garden office

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anybody advice my best option:

I have plusnet fibre in house with vdsl router and wifi
I have run Cat6 cable down to my garden office which is 20metres from house. My pc is plugged into it.

I would like to set up wifi in the office. I was thinking of a network switch with wifi.
My concern is that the office does get a weak wifi signal from house router. Does that matter, or do I just need to make sure I pick the correct wifi signal when logging on any device.

I also want to use wifi for mobile phone calls?

TIA

Sponsored Links
I had a similar situation. Originally I was told that if both routers were given the same name and password my laptop will pick up the strongest signal. However I have a Sonos speaker system on wifi distributed around the house and it seemed to confuse it somewhat.

So I changed the router names and you are right, my laptop will often stick with the weaker signal, but it's easy just to select the other one.

You can just reuse an old wifi router for the purpose. My fibre router is in the loft, the one which actually connects to the broadband - that connects to an old copper broadband router downstairs, via Cat6. No need to set both up with the same name/password, so long as you set devices up to connect to either one automatically. DHCP needs to be disabled on the sub-router, enabled on the main-router and each device set to use the main-routers DHCP.

Both routers offer dual band wifi.

Once logged into one router, access does seem to be slightly sticky to that router, but if I turn a device on close to a router offering a better signal it will usually switch itself.

Wouldn’t a powerline adaptor work for you? The adaptor in the office will have an Ethernet connection as well as putting out its own WiFi signal. I know one person on this forum doesn't like this, says it wont work, says you'll get interference but I’ve always found it works well.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Wouldn’t a powerline adaptor work for you? The adaptor in the office will have an Ethernet connection as well as putting out its own WiFi signal. I know some people don’t like this but I’ve always found it works well.

Why, when he already has the CAT6 cable in place?

Why, when he already has the CAT6 cable in place?
Because he said he wanted wifi up there. He can do that with a powerline adaptor with no technical knowledge in 30 seconds for 30 odd quid. Has he got a spare router and the time, inclination and knowledge to reconfigure one and set it up? I don't know but it seems like a lot of ****ing about to save 30 quid. I know what route I'd choose every time.

Because he said he wanted wifi up there. He can do that with a powerline adaptor with no technical knowledge in 30 seconds for 30 odd quid. Has he got a spare router and the time, inclination and knowledge to reconfigure one and set it up? I don't know but it seems like a lot of ****ing about to save 30 quid. I know what route I'd choose every time.

Most people who have been on the Internet a while will have spare router / modems about. I keep chucking them out, but I must have around six spares ones in stock, including one identical and ready set up to plug into my FTTC, so that should my present one fail - I can swap it out without delay. A router takes no more setting up than your mains signalling solution, but will be much faster and much more reliable.

..and yes, I do have a pair of powerline adaptors I only keep them for those times when I need a temporary LAN where I don't have one at the moment.

Cat6 beats powerline every day of the week for performance and for stability.

But perhaps the key point is: if you use the existing cat6 you need a new wireless access point, if you use powerline then you need a wireless access point and some powerline adaptors. More cost, effort and time compared to just plugging into the existing wires.

Sponsored Links
Back