Neutral/earth rcd trip

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've come to notice this week that my rcd doesn't trip when neutral and earth touch (with relevant mcb turned off).
I'm certain that it always has because I always tape end of neutral if I'm adding or changing a socket to stop nuisance trips.
The test button on rcd works as it should
Is this something I need to get looked at or does it not always do it?

Sponsored Links
Is this something I need to get looked at or does it not always do it?

A Neutral to Earth fault will only trip an RCD if there is current flowing through a load ( lamp, appliance etc ) on a circuit protected by the RCD

0x89.jpg

A Neutral to Earth fault will only trip an RCD if there is current flowing through a load ( lamp, appliance etc ) on a circuit protected by the RCD

View attachment 166322

Well there's stuff on standby, tv etc and 2 fridge freezers.
Tried it again just now and nothing happened. Turned microwave on and it popped so it is actually working ok thankfully

Sponsored Links
Has to be enough current flowing down the neutral before the fault happens, as you would need nearly 7w going down the earth to trip the RCD so the current draw for the ne fault would have to be more than a couple of devices on standby

Has to be enough current flowing down the neutral before the fault happens, as you would need nearly 7w going down the earth to trip the RCD so the current draw for the ne fault would have to be more than a couple of devices on standby

That's good to know. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't an issue with it from a safety point of view.

That's good to know. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't an issue with it from a safety point of view.
Well to do that you'd need an RCD testing tool and probably more in depth testing with other meters and inspection too. But yes that in itself doesn't indicate a problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back