Never wallpapered before!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've done quite a bit of DIY in my time, but the one thing I've never done is wallpaper!

What prep do I need to do to paper on a freshly plastered stud wall. At the moment I have given the wall in question a mist coat of emulsion.

Or is it now ready to go with paste and the wallpaper?

Sponsored Links
What emulsion did you use?..non vinyl or vinyl matt?

And what do you intend papering it with?

I'm pretty sure it's non-vinyl. Although not 100% - I can check though.

I'm guessing that if it was vinyl this could cause problems? (even if it was thinned?)

I haven't decided the specific design yet, is this significant?

It shouldnt be a problem either way..but if its non vinyl youll just need to size it thats all.

Either way I would personally go for a lining paper first though just in case..

One thing...make sure the wall and the studs have settled down nicely...you dont want any shrinkage after you have papered

Sponsored Links
It's very, very flat. Should I still use lining paper? And if I give it a coat of vinyl mat, do I not need to size it?

Obviously sizing is some prep before papering. Just done a quick search, thinned down wallpaper paste correct? How much thinned?

It normally says on the packet..

its hard to say on here because there are about 4 different bag sizes and the pastes can be different strengths.

As a first timer for papering, not in any specific order
get an easy pattern,
Follow the instructions for paper & paste
take your time
Dont worry about bubbles, they go.
Start with all your tools
Start in a clean room
Think about where to start, walk wound the room & mark the widths.

These are the thinks I didnt do.. :LOL:

sharp, v sharp blades to trim, relax, match a vertical edge towards the top and get a large brush to spread outwards to the other corners, bubbles go, trim into the corners, dont paper round them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back