How to treat the walls after stripping the wallpaper off?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just stripped one of my rooms of its wallpaper and washed off hopefully all the wallpaper paste, however is there any thing else i need to do i.e. seal the wall up as i used a steamer.

The wall was painted before wallpaper was put on and there was some damp stains from when the roof was leaking. At the moment the wall after being washed is a bit powdery when dry but i assume this is the emulsion on the wall.

Is there anything i can do to stop the emulsion on the walls being chaulky and stop the stains coming through the new coat of paint and seal any pourous plaster as well all in one go?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Diluted PVA is the standard way to seal up the porous and chalky stuff.
You can get 5l from a builders merchants for less than 1l in B&Q.
Do one coat of 1 part PVA to 5 parts water, then one coat of 1 part PVA to 3 parts water. Leave to dry between coats, it only takes an hour or so.

Diluted PVA is excellent for chalky, flaky paint, it stops it from flaking.

As to your water stain, whack some oilbased undercoat on the stain, let it dry, then carry on with your emulsioning.

Diluted PVA is excellent for chalky, flaky paint, it stops it from flaking.

As to your water stain, whack some oilbased undercoat on the stain, let it dry, then carry on with your emulsioning.

:rolleyes: ...Apply apply!! ;)

What do you intend to put on the walls now they are stripped?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies - will be putting on emulsion.

Thanks for the replies - will be putting on emulsion.

In that case once the walls are nicely bonded down then id reccommend you line them beforehand

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back