new 3 way valve fitted, no hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, i've just fitted a new 3 way valve to my central heating which was working apart from having to manually set the old 3 way valve everyday. After refilling the system not all the rads are heating up and there is no hot water getting to the cylinder, i've tried bleeding all the rads and the pump, my gut feeling is the pump isn't working, it was fine before, the valve is in the midpoint position. My system is open vented and the boiler is a gloworm, any ideas? (please)

Sponsored Links
remove the screw on the front of pump and place a screwdriver in the hole you'll feel if the pumps rotating.

System fully bled? and the 3 port valve fitted correct way round? and wired same as old one? Check pump rotation by removing front screw and you can feel pump rotating,use a small screwdriver and also be aware small amount of water may come out.

Sponsored Links
wow you guys move quick! the new valve wired exactly as old one, the right way round as far as i can tell, as for bleeding, i've done all the rads, the pump and the small finger tight threaded cap just above the 3 way valve. the pump does seem to be rotating after checking it with a screwdriver!
tidders

stick the pump on top speed.
try it on hw only calling first get the primeries circulating.

check the pipe to the cylinder from 3 port is hot and the return from cylinder is hot.

ok seco, will try that, but missus has given up on me and put the immersion heater on for now!! :evil:

UPDATE: Thanks to everyone who's commented I've now got hot water aswell!! Now there's just one downstairs rad not working. When I open the bleed valve water only comes out, no air. The rad was working fine before. I'm puzzled!

Bingo!! Lightning, you're a star! thank you for your help and thanks to all the people who commented too. :D

Yeah nice one Andy, we did that and we've still got hot water, incidently, the water seems hotter now than before I changed the valve! or is it just my immagination? I've turned the therm down on the cylinder and I've turned the boiler down aswell.

The water is hotter due to the new valve because it is not 'passing' hot water through to the heating circuit. Leave the cylinder on 60c and adjust the boiler down.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back