My rads are getting hot when just the hot water is on ???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help with my problem?
I've just fitted new central heating with a new boiler in the garage and fitted a new control system with 3 port mid postion valve and pump in the airing cupboard. When just the hot water is on the rads start to heat up from the return side and the pipe that feeds the rads from the 3 port valve is only barely luke warm suggesting that the valve is not leaking.
Any ideas?

Thanks

mark

Sponsored Links
Try searching for reverse circulation.

Is it a brand new full system.

The system is 70% new.
I moved the airing cupboard and fitted a new boiler in a different location.
The pipe runs to the boiler are fairly long and the pump is in the airing cupboard. the returns from the cylinder and rads are joined under the airing cupboard and I'm wondering if I should have plumbed the return from the cylinder further down the line closer to the boiler?
How do you check for reverse circulation?

Thanks

Mark

i think you've answered all your questions youself.

Sponsored Links
The return from the cylinder should be the last connection into the system return before the boiler.

You have already said that the rads heat up from the return so you know that you have reverse circulation.

I will have to sell a kidney to fund some more 22mm copper pipe and move the return further down the line.

Mark

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back