Rads getting hot when hot water selected?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,
I have a gravity fed microbore central heating system. From what I can see without lifting floorboards there is a flow from the boiler to a Myson Aejec aerator which then feeds into the pump, then to the 3 port motorized valve (there is also a 15mm bypass gate valve inbetween the pump and the 3 port vv which is partially open). When I operate the heating only, all rads become hot and it performs exactly as it should. When I feel the pipe from the 3 port vv to the immersion cyclinder, it remains cold, so all is well and being directed only to the rads.
However, when I let the system go cold again (for testing) and I select ONLY the hot water, the 3 port valvle sends the hot water to the cylinder exactly as it should do and all appears OK. The pipe on the 3 port vv for the rads remains cool so happy. Then, after about 10 minutes, I notice various radiators around the house start to warm up? I can't fathom out why the rads would be warming up when only the HW is selected? At first I thought it was something to do with the 15mm bypass but not sure? I've captured the pipe layout on the attachment. Any ideas please?

Attachments

• CH system layout.JPG
    CH system layout.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 122
Sponsored Links
That is not necessarily how yours is connected.

Usually that problem is caused by the return pipe not being ideally connected and that encourages spurious circulation. That is often in a different direction to the normal flow and return on each rad!

Can be difficult to fix without replumbing all the returns.

Can also be encouraged by partially blocked pipes and a cleaning chemical might help in that respect.

The position of the bypass might also affect it.

You should note its current position and adjust say 1/2 turn either side of the current position.

Tony

Last edited:
1-Has this just happened and has there been any pipework alterations?
2-Close the bypass fully off, but make a note of how many turns. Ensure at least one rad is not controlled by a trv, then run Hw only. See if that has any effect on rads heating. Come back with results.

Sponsored Links
I think the OPs name suggest he might be on the wind up. And I have a clue wh it is ;)

Plus the fact Agile is just spouting from every thing he learned recently in the CC.

That is a word that I have been using for many years!

Generally in relation to spurious radiation from radio frequency transmitting equipment.

But in the context of heating it is also a normal word to describe circulation outside of the normal mode.

I

I think the OPs name suggest he might be on the wind up. And I have a clue wh it is ;)

Plus the fact Agile is just spouting from every thing he learned recently in the CC.

I am certainly not winding anyone up, and my username was selected as many other ones I commonly use are already taken up when I joined this site. I did many years in the military and headwaiter is connected to it, though nothing to do with food/wine! Thanks.

I shall try the serious suggestions above when I get home and let you know how I get on. Since I moved into this house the heating has performed as per the OP, but I have had a complete change of motorized valve and 3 port valve body as well as a system flush, but it is still the same. I suspect pipework?

That is the first time I have heard of a Head Waiter who is not connected with food!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back