New bath and taps - Limescale stains where water hits bath?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had a new bathroom installed recently and it has been used for about 3 weeks. However, for some reason, there are limescale stains at the point where the water from the tap meets the bath surface, the part leading up to the overflow area. The tap is not dripping and I have not left it "slightly running" at any point, which can be done on an old tap when you think it has been completely closed.

Why would this be happening, how can I remove the limescale and how can I stop this from happening in future.

(We are in a hard water area, but I do have a scalewatcher fitted).

Sponsored Links
Your taps are probably dripping a little some time after you have finished your bath. It's a familiar problem to any men over 45.

But seriously, have you tried a spray-on limescale remover? Mr Muscle probably does one. Little and often would be the routine.

Scalewatcher, pah! Save up for a water softener!

So my taps are definitely dripping then, even if I can't see or feel any water coming out ?

John D: I would consider a water softener, but I have nowhere to install the device nor the bulky salts. Also, I think it is the place of the water companies to sort the hard water problem in this country and not each individual householder, as they could process the water at a much cheaper rate than we can.

Sponsored Links
It might be water collecting under or around the taps and running down later. If you wrap a bit of tissue round them it will make the water easier to see.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back