new bath supplier recommended tcut for scratch removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We received a new bath (plastic/acrylic??) and various other parts - however the bottom of the bath where you stand/sit has a few scratches no doubt caused by something sitting inside it whilst being delivered

The supplier has recommended we use t-cut on it first before replacing the bath and that they will refund us £50 if this works to save them the hassle of replacing it. If it doesnt work they say they will replace the bath.

The scratches are not deep, just spoil the bottom surface of the bath visually. Is t-cut the best thing to use on something like this and if so is it likely to remove all traces are said scratches?

Also, im a little concerned about my rights with regards to replacement if I follow this procedure and end up making a pigs ear of it. I said this to the call centre and she said it wouldnt be a problem at all replacing the bath if this didnt work. Although she wouldnt give this to me in writing with the usual call centre excuse of 'were a call centre, we dont write letters!'

Sponsored Links
doobr1e said:
Is t-cut the best thing to use on something like this and if so is it likely to remove all traces are said scratches?
Yes it will but depends how deep the cut is. Don't worry if you make it worse, you can tell them it was already like that !
If you're that worried why not ask them to T-cut it for you.

Firstly, you should have informed them that you are recording the conversation for staff training purposes... :cool:

On a serious note, T-Cut is a very safe substance to use and will remove many minor blemishes.

Be persistent and they should offer a replacement.

We had terrible problems with our bathroom suite and once we threatened legal action a refund promptly arrived. It wouldn't be an ideal standard company would it ?

Is your time trying to polish a bath worth £50 ?

If you do go down the T-cut route there are 2 types, the one for metallic paint is less abbrasive so may be safer.

Sponsored Links
>I said this to the call centre and she said it wouldn't be a problem at all replacing the bath if this didn't work

of course they could tell you that you've forfeited any rights due, because you've applied T-cut to the bath and therefore voided any warranty.... :eek:

Personally i wouldn't trust a call center - they have targets to meet and might have been trying to fob you off...

let us know what happens

I would give the 'T cut' a go, its good for removing scratches, if it works take the £50, its a lot less hastle than waiting delivery for replacement, after a few months of use you will have forgoten all about the original scratches. Good luck.

I have been told that T-cut also works on Corian work surfaces, does anybody know if this is true?

GC812 said:
I have been told that T-cut also works on Corian work surfaces, does anybody know if this is true?

Yes, you can. You can also rub down with wet and dry paper first to remove deeper scratches, then buff with cutting compound (sligthtly courser stuff!).

But the trouble with Corian is that being slightly porous it can look fine at first, then (blooms) can appear. I think the solution would be to use a good quality silicone dressing??? Tho haven't tried that myself yet.

HTH

To me the answer is simple, you purchased a NEW bath, it is DAMAGED.

Return the bath to your supplier, if you try to rectify any faults yourself then they can say that you have accepted the product and you will have no comebacks.

As a Nation we are ripped off left right and center, and its about time people get what they ask for, when purhasing a product or service. At the end of the day its OUR money, WE earned it, and WE should have a say on how it's spent. :evil:

Rant over, sorry about that. :oops:

100% Agreed but what do you do if you got to wait another delivery for 8 weeks ? :eek: I suppose a refund is another option.

masona said:
100% Agreed but what do you do if you got to wait another delivery for 8 weeks ? :eek: I suppose a refund is another option.

I would and have, give them 7 days to replace the item or refund any monies paid.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back