New bathroom plumbing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am installing a new bathroom with shower bath & will be running new H/C feed lines for a power shower from a 2 bar pump - we intend installing another en-suite shower at a later date. The house is mid 60’s & I’m pretty certain it hasn’t been touched since & so I am unsure about condition of existing plumbing. Rather than replace the bath sink runs separately, is it acceptable to tee off the pumped H/C shower runs to feed the bath & basin unit?

Sponsored Links
Yes; however, it's prudent to install a bypass so that when running a single outlet (like a hot tap) from a twin pump the water from the 'idle' impeller has somewhere to go.

I've heard on the grapevine that Stuart Turner have started recommending this - I haven't asked them yet, but I know that last summer when I consulted them over a neg. head pump that they made no mention of it then.

They (ST etc) will give you a time which is OK for running into a closed end, typically enough to fill say a basin with water from one tap. The danger is that the pump overheats, which takes a while. If you like 15 minute cold showers :eek: there could be an issue.

Softus said:
Yes; however, it's prudent to install a bypass so that when running a single outlet (like a hot tap) from a twin pump the water from the 'idle' impeller has somewhere to go.

Must confess I never thought of that! How do I provide a bypass loop, is it just a connection across each pump inlet & outlet? Won’t this prevent the pump flow switch operating? I notice that the Salamander RHP 75 has a built in bypass loop, is this worth considering?

Sponsored Links
you can buy a retro fit bypass from Techflow pumps in Burgess Hill..in god`s own county ;)

Thanks; I thought all shower pumps had 22mm inlet/outlet but have noticed there are some 15mm ones around. 15mm pipework is obviously a lot easier & cheaper to install but I wouldn't like to compromise the shower performance & obviously the flow rate is lower for a given pressure but as most mixer valves reduce the line to 15mm or less anyway, does the smaller pipe make any difference in reality?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back