New bearing fit hotpoint first edition??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone advice if this is a nightmare job,I am very competent at repairing alsorts so no problems there,ive just not done a washer bearing before

its become very noisy,and i think its time to replace,,At first i though there was something like a 5p in between the drum and outer drum,so today i took the front of the washer of and split the drum only to find nothing.put it all back,and rang a local guy who wants £120 to replace it..I sourced a genuine bearing for £18,or a non for about £5.

question is is it a nightmare,do i need a special bearing tool (ive read it somewhere) or simply nock it out,,and is it advicable to change the spider (presumed not rivited on) and shaft also

thanks for any help
craig

Sponsored Links
had a look and can't find a model number on the machine apart from whats on the front which is "hotpoint first edition 1200 spin wm53." its an all white one,as ive seen some with black control panels.

will it be wrote internal,i can take the lid of,,only a small area to get to the shaft nut comes of at the rear.,,if it helps motor is at the top,and the drum splits right at the face.

Sponsored Links
Ahh yes a 12 year old model. The inner bearings can be boshed out with a drift but if the inner race gets stuck in you have had it. If the drum surport is not rough you could be ok. The inner drum is obserlete so if the support needs changeing make sure it unbolts. Good luck.

Ahh yes a 12 year old model. The inner bearings can be boshed out with a drift but if the inner race gets stuck in you have had it. If the drum surport is not rough you could be ok. The inner drum is obserlete so if the support needs changeing make sure it unbolts. Good luck.

Thanks for that,,didnt realise it was 12 years old! its been a great machine,which is why I thought I would give it a go,,if worst comes to worst ill get a new machine.

Thanks again
craig

Well you guessed it,,the front race is solid,and i mean solid,,ive belted it,swore at it,,just looked it it and i will not come out,,it dosnt help you cannot get anything in behind it with that lip!

I know you said youve had it,but it there no other way of getting this out,i'd got so far with it.,,chizel from the top to try and split it that way,or is it a case of even if i got it out the bore will be badly damaged under it.

Have u tried a dremel. That might get in the hole with a metal cutter on the end.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back