New Bedroom Door Painted

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I hired a painter from MyBuilider to paint my bedroom including the door which was newly installed.

The door came primed from the store but the edge was raw after the carpenter had to trim it.

I asked the painter to use 'Zinsser Bulls Eye 1-2-3 Primer-Sealer" and apply Dulux Acrylic Gloss.

I found the edge had bits sticking out and pointed this out. He told me sometimes this happens to doors when they are painted and left it like this.

How can I fix this? Should I sand it down and paint it again myself?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20211113_135131.jpg
    20211113_135131.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 93
Sponsored Links
Yes, lightly sand, undercoat, flat with denib pad (if gritty), paint.

Denib pads are like the scourer green side of a kitchen sponge.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Which grit sandpaper should I use?

120 grit if it’s bad or you want to get back to the wood... otherwise start at 180, and just provide a key For the paint.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for everyone's response.

I think I will need to fill the wood and sand it afterwards.

I have no idea what the painter did to this door, it was raw but very smooth before.

Attachments

• 20211116_192040.jpg
    20211116_192040.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 74
  • 20211116_192044.jpg
    20211116_192044.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 82
Basically, he needed to sand between coats. The primer can cause bare wood to roughen up a bit. Although that's a hell of a grain pattern on the door edge!

Thanks for this explanation.

This is a great forum, very helpful people contributing.

water-based paints can be difficult to sand off cleanly, and tend to form sticky balls on the paper. You might manage a light wipe with a fine paper. The grain on the edge is awful, probably raised by the water content of your paint.

Why did you specify the Zinsser primer?

I use Leyland Trade acrylic primer. It doesn't have particularly good colour obliteration properties but I don't care because it is dream to sand flat and I anticipate the grain to rise (thus needing to be sanded flat).

The "holes" are partially down to the carpenter. Ideally one should plane the door edge in the direction of the grain, and not against the grain. The carpenter should have additionally sanded the left and right sides of the door edge. It only takes a few minutes to do and it means that you won't cut you if you run your finger along the edge.

Even though the carpenter didn't, IMO the decorator should have. I would never leave an edge like that

It would be interesting to see what the rest of the door looks like, especially the paint near hinges.

I wanted to use the Zinsser primer as it's what I had left over from another paint job.

I had the door sanded and painted, it looks much better than before!

Attachments

• 20211121_143625.jpg
    20211121_143625.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 62
  • 20211121_143703.jpg
    20211121_143703.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 64

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back