New block and beam floor into existing wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am building an extension. It is extending from our existing rear wall of a 1929 bungalow and will be just under 6m wide by 10m long. The new walls to be built are approx. 23 linear metres with 3m of existing wall (currently a kitchen that sits out 3m into the rear garden).

One 6m end will simply be the existing rear wall of the bungalow.

The problem is, that with just over 52 m2 of new floor space, we're struggling to work out what type of floor to lay.

Something that size being made as a large reinforced raft slab will likely need expansion gaps, but would spread its load out along the whole of the existing ground area (obviously on top of MOT, sand and insulation).

We were instead thinking of choosing block and beam which would be resting on the inner skin of the new walls (5.1m clear span) for the most part but how do we attach the 3m of beams (with clear span of 5.1m) into the existing kitchen wall? The bricks in that wall are white, and as a wall they seem fine but individually they can be broken quite easily. Also, to make matters worse the wall is resting on victorian style stepped foundations made of the same bricks.

To add an extra bit of information, when the trenches were dug and concrete poured no provision was made for any sleeper walls in the middle of the space and it would be very difficult to get a digger back there to put them in.

I'm hoping a full size snooker table will eventually sit in this room. I expect that makes the loadings at the end of the beams greater as well.

What are your thoughts.

Sponsored Links
Why can't you do a ground bearing slab?
At 60m² I'd get some input from a designer/technical architect you don't want it to end up looking an eye saw.

Thought it best to log in (since I've asked a different question) to give an update.

We spoke to several beam suppliers, got quotes from a number of them and chose the one we felt best understood our requirements, and the beams and blocks have been happily in place since around October 2017. The floor hasn't been completed yet but it's still a work in progress.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back