New Boiler advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well, my old Myson Economist WM30/40BF gave up the ghost today. I think partly due to it overheating when the F&E tank ran dry :cry:

Anyway, what I want to know please is if a suitable replacement for this old boiler would be an Icos 15 HE ? I can get one of these for about £600 or so & a mate who's CORGI reg said that if I hang the boiler, fit the flue & alter the Water pipework to suit the new boiler connections, he will sort out the gas connection and fill & test the system for a discounted rate.

Needless to say, I could be saving a packet here but I just need to know if that boiler would be OK. If it helps, my house is a two-up two-down terraced, two double 500X1200 rads, two double 600X1200 rads, a double 400X600 rad and a single 500X1200.

The old Economist ran these perfectly OK ( used to take it about an hour to get the rooms up to 20 deg in the morning ) & by what I can see on the ratings, the Icos should be about the same.

Thanks very much guys
PS - forgot to add, the Economist ran via 15mm gas pipe & I really don't want to have to destroy the ceiling to run a new 22mm pipe. Will this be a problem ? The total pipe run from the meter is 8M & the first 3.5M from the meter is 22mm.

Sponsored Links
Your mate is sticking his neck out, but that's up to him.

Ask his opinion if you expect to be calling him if it gives trouble.

Icos, moi? Not a chance. One of the small Worcesters perhaps, or a Potterton Promax if a bit cheaper.
ASk yourself - or your corgi - if you want a sealed system or not.

Your mate is sticking his neck out, but that's up to him. Ask his opinion if you expect to be calling him if it gives trouble.

We've known each other since school ( about 30 years ) & we regularly do each other favours, so that won't be a problem.

Icos, moi? Not a chance. One of the small Worcesters perhaps, or a Potterton Promax if a bit cheaper.

Are the Icos models a load of rubbish then or is it more of a personal preference, based on your experiences ? I must admit they are a fair bit cheaper than the others you state I just thought that buying another Myson might be a good idea, seeing as this old boiler has lasted more than 20 years.

ASk yourself - or your corgi - if you want a sealed system or not.

All my m8 asked me to do was buy the boiler that I wanted, then pipe it up for the water. he never mentioned about changing the present system, although he did suggest this might be good time to replace the old pump. He texted me earlier and said £400 for his work, which seems an absolute bargain as I can get it all sorted for about a grand if I can get the boiler for £600.

He did mention that seeing as my boiler only runs the CH and NO Hot water, a small boiler like the one I mentioned should be OK over that run of piping. Apparently, the Plumbing Supplers should be able to confirm this for me.

Thanks as always

Keep away from the icos , they are very cheep to run purely because they only run for 3 weeks out of 4.

Best budget boiler that is just about the most reliable boiler out there is the ideal classic also known as the optia(and cheaper) from plumbcentre.

Sponsored Links
Keep away from the icos , they are very cheep to run purely because they only run for 3 weeks out of 4. Best budget boiler that is just about the most reliable boiler out there is the ideal classic also known as the optia(and cheaper) from plumbcentre.

Thanks for the advice about the ideal classic namsag & sorry for my mistake in my earlier post when I said I wanted to buy another Myson :oops: I meant an Ideal model mainly because the factory is in Hull, about a mile away from where I live and yes, you've guessed it, I know someone who works there, so discounts ain't a problem :LOL:

Would that one run OK via that length & configuration of pipework I've got existing in the house you reckon ?

Thanks again, it's appreciated.

a mate who's CORGI reg said that if I hang the boiler, fit the flue & alter the Water pipework to suit the new boiler connections, he will sort out the gas connection and fill & test the system for a discounted rate. Of £400 !!!

Firstly he should not really be letting you fit the wall bracket or fit the flue as those should be done by a CORGI.

If all he is doing is connecting the gas pipe and filling and commissioning which would be about four hours work then that sounds like a lot!

Suffice to say that if we were doing everything that a CORGI has to then we would be charging just £180 in our local area!

Most important is that he must notify CORGI and complete your Benchmark Certificate.

Tony

Tony

Firstly he should not really be letting you fit the wall bracket or fit the flue as those should be done by a CORGI. If all he is doing is connecting the gas pipe and filling and commissioning which would be about four hours work then that sounds like a lot! Suffice to say that if we were doing everything that a CORGI has to then we would be charging just £180 in our local area! Most important is that he must notify CORGI and complete your Benchmark Certificate.
Tony

Hmmm, interesting is that, I'll have to have a word with m'laddo in morning. I must have got my wires crossed during the phone call coz we've never ripped each other off. I'll let you know how the call went :confused:

Classic will cope with your system quite easily

Agile, would there be any advantage to buying the HE18 ? Reason I ask is that it's only another tenner more than the HE15 from Plumbcentre, or would this model then require the 22mm pipe upgrade ?

I don't think I'm gonna bother asking my m8 at Ideal seeing as the Classic boilers are MUCH more expensive from there. So the Optia and the Classic are one and the same, just a different name ?

Thanks again guys

Over sizing a boiler just helps to reduce the efficiency.

Your house probably only needs 8-9 kW even when its -1°C outside which is about five days a year.

Why not update so the boiler heats the hot water as well?

Tony

Over sizing a boiler just helps to reduce the efficiency. Your house probably only needs 8-9 kW even when its -1°C outside which is about five days a year.

Really :eek: So would the HE12 or maybe even the HE9 be a better bet ?

Why not update so the boiler heats the hot water as well?
Tony

We're really happy with the Multipoint we use for the hot water. It's a Corvec Brittony II which after reading through some of the posts on here, is a very reliable water heater. Also, I don't want the added complication of trying to find space in an already overcrowded loft for a HW tank. And of course the extra pipework :(

Thanks very much for all this Tony.

I would not suggest you go for anything less than the 12 kW because that will have ample capacity for the hot water when the Corvec fails!

I did not know that they were so reliable!

Tony

I would not suggest you go for anything less than the 12 kW because that will have ample capacity for the hot water when the Corvec fails! I did not know that they were so reliable!
Tony

In one of the posts on here, someone asks if it would be better to go forra combi over his present set-up ( similar to mine, although his boiler works :LOL: ) and the reply states that the Corvec is Ultra-Reliable. Must admit that mine must be getting on for about ten years old and the only thing that's been replaced is a diaphragm.

I even found a place cheaper than PlumbCentre for the Optia range - MyTub

Thanks again Tony, I'll get it ordered tomorrow.

Hmmm, interesting is that, I'll have to have a word with m'laddo in morning. I must have got my wires crossed during the phone call coz we've never ripped each other off. I'll let you know how the call went :confused:

Well, I rang him this morning and needless to say, I did get my wires crossed. I'm gonna get the boiler but he's gonna do all the fit, filling, testing blah blah etc. I heard him talking about what was going to be done and I presumed he wanted me to do all that ready for him to sort out the gas connection. :oops:

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back