Gas boiler pipe size - old 15mm, new 22mm!...

3 fires?!!

if you had 1 fire 1 cooker and 1 boiler, you need to calculate each section separately.

Eg meter to boiler is furthest away and has most number of sections between meter and boiler, for eg 3. You work out length from tee to boiler (that own individual section, ie section b-c) and include all fittings, etc. Eg 1 metre plus 2 fittings, = 2M X 3 sections (max number) = 6M gas rate of boiler, eg 2.5m3/hr - from chart find next size up, prob 22mm would be easily suitable.

If the installation was THAT large, then it would be calssed as commercial probably anyway, total IV over 0.035m3.

Sponsored Links
Fitting the hanging bracket, fitting the flue and certainly fitting any gas pipes all have to be done by an RGI !

Although I agree a gas appliance is best fitted by an RGI, fitting the bracket (2 bolts/screws) and a push fit flue with at worst two 3.2mm retaining screws, is somthing a monkey can do and certainly that a monkey could check upon inspecting the installation :rolleyes:

3 fires?!!

if you had 1 fire 1 cooker and 1 boiler, you need to calculate each section separately.

Last job had 3 fires, over, grill and hob, and boiler 30 Kw (mixed 2 jobs up, the other one was 37) at 15 metres from meter; What would your calculation be for the first section; 4 metres + 4 elbows, gasrate 3.3 m3?

If the installation was THAT large, then it would be calssed as commercial probably anyway, total IV over 0.035m3.

Guaranteed it was not industrial in any way; not in power, not in volume; granted, close, but not quite.

And it's unlikely to fall off, unless it's an Alpha 50 :evil:

Sponsored Links
bengasman - depends on the total no. of sections (max amount). it would be 4 metres plus 4 elbows @ 0.5 metres each = 6 metres. X max no. of sections - then from chart, find next size up.

That's what I said, 5 sections. If I understand your theory correctly, you would have to multiply the finding of each section by 5, hence my question: what sort of size do you get to?
I have heard it quoted before, plus a few variations. They work reasonably well with 2 or 3 appliances that are not too different in size, and fairly evenly spaced due to the law of averages. When capacities are quite different and the spacing uneven, the calculation done this way comes out with sizes that are far too big, and easily go over the 35 mm mark.

ok sorry, so with 6 metres X 5 = 30 metres, gas rate of all appliances in total (as is 1st section and supplying them all) but if a gas rate of just 3.3 m3 in total as you stated: it would be 28mm (next size up)

Although I agree a gas appliance is best fitted by an RGI, fitting the bracket (2 bolts/screws) and a push fit flue with at worst two 3.2mm retaining screws, is somthing a monkey can do and certainly that a monkey could check upon inspecting the installation :rolleyes:

dave, i recommend you go and work with a manufacturers engineer for a week, you will soon see that a large portion of installers haven't yet evolved into monkies as yet ;)

dave, i recommend you go and work with a manufacturers engineer for a week, you will soon see that a large portion of installers haven't yet evolved into monkies as yet ;)

With the exception of Vaillant. :evil:

With the exception of Vaillant. :evil:

I'm pretty confident he wouldn't be welcome anyway.

Fitting the hanging bracket, fitting the flue and certainly fitting any gas pipes all have to be done by an RGI !

you would think but how many boilers have you seen installed with th ecore at the wrong gradiant,clearances and poor flue connections or damaged washers?

i thought they were chimneys now anyway :D

Most new boiler installlations that I see have several installer faults and mostly with the flue.

Whilst monkeys dont read installation instructions, I would expect they could at least fit the flue at the right angle. ( Vaillant monkeys excepted! )

Dave, its well established what an RGI had to do under CORGI and as one of them said to me the GS are the same people so nothing has changed.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back