Using 22mm instead of 15mm copper pipe for gas to the boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been upgrading my property, I am installing new rads and new boiler, I will need to run a new pipe from the gas meter to the boiler. As I am changing the place were the boiler is. The old boiler as far as I can see used 15mm, my question is if there would be a problem running a bigger diameter pipe (22mm) from the gas meter to the boiler? since I am running new pipes, I won't be doing any connections to the meter, only running the pipe. Once this is done I would ask an engineer to install the new boiler.
Also I would like to know if I can even run the pipe myself ( I mean I know I can do it) but more in terms of regulations

Sponsored Links
A Gas Safe person should install the gas pipe having sized it up properly (it might need to be bigger than 22mm). Not a DIY job I'm afraid.

You need to speak to the RGI who'll be installing your boiler if he'd be happy to test and sign off against your pipework. If not then "no" is the answer.

Thanks for your reply, I'll ask the engineer to see what he says, I wanted to know if going for a bigger size pipe will make the boiler run better or worst, ie if recommended to have 15mm, running a 22mm will be better, or make the boiler break drown, or be less efficient.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your reply, I'll ask the engineer to see what he says, I wanted to know if going for a bigger size pipe will make the boiler run better or worst, ie if recommended to have 15mm, running a 22mm will be better, or make the boiler break drown, or be less efficient.

Reading the above leads me to believe that you know your stuff so any further advice would be futile :p

It really is one to leave to the RGI, including the installation.

I have spoken to the engineer and he is happy for me to run the pipe, and he will check everything before connecting to the meter and boiler, 22mm is adequate, so that's okay too, the reason I want to do it is because it'll save time on installation day, also I can run the pipe behind the kitchen units where it'll be hidden, as I can take my time. Anyways thanks for the comments.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back