Gas question - Using 15mm pipe & lead or all new 22mm ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My current situation is as follows:

a) In around Jan / Feb time I will be replacing my Combi Boiler with a Baxi Platinum as follows:
http://www.baxi.co.uk/products/literature/Baxi_Platinum_Brochure.pdf

b) All my gas work in the house is currently fed around the house via lead pipes

c) The only gas devices I will end up with in the house will be:
- Above Combi Boiler which has a 22mm feed
- Small gas fire "coal effect " in the living room fed via a small (8mm ?) feed
- Gas cooker outlet to be fitted in the kitchen (via a user connection baynut style fitting)

d) British gas are going to be fitting a new gas meter and they are saying that this only takes half an hour.

I have a number of questions

1) Am I going to be ok to feed the above boiler with a 15mm pipe from a cut lead pipe even though the gas pipe connection says that it is 22mm?
2) Should I really take this opportunity to feed a new 22mm pipe from my new meter to my new boiler ?
3) What size copper pipe is used to feed a gas cooker outlet baynut fitting ?

I have had one quote for the work and the guy said he will be ok to connect to lead and that a 15mm pipe will be fine - anyone comment on this ?

Thanks in advance !

Mark

Sponsored Links
Need to remove lead, new meter union in 22mm t off for fire in 15 then 8 depending upon distance, 22mm to boiler, 15mm to cooker, can share with boiler.

Man who said it was OK to reuse the lead wasn't aware of the fact it's considered flexible and two flexible pipes to meter not allowed. There being a flexible anaconda on the inlet the lead must go.

The existing lead is fine, NCS, apart from one small detail.

it will not be large enough, and I very much doubt 22mm will be either.

We would need the total length of each run, the number of bends and tees, and the gas rate of the fire and cooker/hob.

With comments like that I think you should seriously consider another Gas fitter, yours sounds like a cowboy

Sponsored Links
doitall said:

it will not be large enough

And as he is connecting to it he can't leave it. It's OK to leave an ncs when doing inspections or work in another area but can't incorporate ncs into your own work, everything has to be to standard.

Yes obviously a proper pipesizing exercise is called for but in the context of this discussion I thought my laymans sumary appropriate.

The attitude of your gas fitter seems pretty appalling if he is seriously suggesting a 15mm supply to your new boiler. You could let him install it..then insist he does a working pressure test with all appliances on and with combi calling for hot water. He's only allowed a 1mb drop..and I bet it will plummet through the floor if he does as he suggests...does he wear a bit hat and spurs by any chance?

Alfredo

Paul Barker said:
doitall said:

it will not be large enough

And as he is connecting to it he can't leave it. It's OK to leave an ncs when doing inspections or work in another area but can't incorporate ncs into your own work, everything has to be to standard.

Yes obviously a proper pipesizing exercise is called for but in the context of this discussion I thought my laymans sumary appropriate.

You are probably correct Paul, but it's irrelevant in this case. The boiler requires a minimum 22mm without any other appliances.

Whatever happens the 1/2" has to go.

Does anyone know what size pipe the gas mains to my house will be ?

Just that I would question the last comment of the boiler needing a deadicated 22mm pipe if the supply to the house is only 22mm then how can I supply anything else but the combi boiler !?

Do you see what I mean ?

mark.carline said:
Does anyone know what size pipe the gas mains to my house will be ?

Just that I would question the last comment of the boiler needing a deadicated 22mm pipe if the supply to the house is only 22mm then how can I supply anything else but the combi boiler !?

Do you see what I mean ?

The supply will probably be medium pressure and therefore can be a lot smaller.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back