New boiler and cold rads

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a new boiler installed and everything went to plan except all 13 of our radiators is cold at the bottom. Upstairs they are worse and only warm at the top.

Heating has been on for 3 ours at a 65 degree flow temp and we’ve done from 14-15 degrees in that time.

Before the install I went and checked every radiator for issues and all 13 were too hot to touch top and bottom (though bottom was a fraction cooler)

We had a maganclean flush and I would have thought this would make them better not worse.

Installer says this is natural and to “give it 2 weeks” but we’re cold and so are the kids.

I can’t help but feel it was a rushed install (contracted for 2 days rushed in 1) and they have possibly not balanced properly.

Any thoughts what it could be and what we can do to mitigate?

Sponsored Links
If the rads aren't fully hot within an hour then something isn't right, there will always be a difference between top and bottom if the system is set up correctly but if the temp has only risen by 1 deg in 3 hours then something isn't right.

Waiting for 2 weeks is ridiculous, what's going to happen in 2 weeks without intervention. Time to get them back in and don't take any fobbing off until it's right.

What boiler was fitted?

If the rads aren't fully hot within an hour then something isn't right, there will always be a difference between top and bottom if the system is set up correctly but if the temp has only risen by 1 deg in 3 hours then something isn't right.

Waiting for 2 weeks is ridiculous, what's going to happen in 2 weeks without intervention. Time to get them back in and don't take any fobbing off until it's right.

What boiler was fitted?
Veissmann 050-w

Rads downstairs are now getting hot, but upstairs lukewarm at best. He indicated this was normal and just air. How long do I leave it this way before calling back - I'm aware he's 4 hour round trip away so as disappointed as I am in some factors of the install - I don't want to put him out unnecessarily if, as he says, it will right itself.

He indicated this was normal and just air
Bo11ocks - yes there can be air needing to settle out of the system for sure but not to the point where it stops the rads from heating up properly. It is fair to presume that there will be residual air caught in a system that has been cleaned, drained, flushed etc but that would manifest itself in air rising to the highest rad(s) making the tops cold and then the rads are then bled.

It should not manifest itself as a system that is cold and wont heat up properly and they should not leave it like that. Any air that may cause problems like that (airlocks) in a CH system should be cleared and sorted by the install and a system should never be left until everything heats up properly.

It is quite simply part of a correct commissioning process, that and correct balancing over 13 rads

Sponsored Links
So I have run a test with an Infrared Thermometer - heating on for 1 hour. Downstairs all eventually all heating up at different times but after 60 mins these are all now between 54-57 degrees (boiler flow is set to 62) so that seems OK.

Upstairs are ALL 42-45...

I will call them up and hope they don't fob me off again!

Thanks

Get the installer back ................. and why on earth did you use somebody who travelled 2 hours to get to you?

From what you wrote above, you have paid for two days work but he did it in one. Ask him to come back and finish the job.

What sort of boiler? Combi/system/regular?

From what you wrote above, you have paid for two days work but he did it in one. Ask him to come back and finish the job.

What sort of boiler? Combi/system/regular?
Combi conversion from gravity fed system - paid the company 'heatable' who I assume pays the installer a cut. I did not pay them direct or a hourly fee, I simply paid for a combi conversion.

Downstairs...all now between 54-57 degrees

Upstairs are ALL 42-45...

You don't mention the TRV settings. It's normal to have the TRV's set lower in bedrooms so that they are cooler for sleeping, and in which case the radiator temperature figures you give could be commensurate with that. If all TRV's are up, then it's not fine.

You don't mention the TRV settings. It's normal to have the TRV's set lower in bedrooms so that they are cooler for sleeping, and in which case the radiator temperature figures you give could be commensurate with that. If all TRV's are up, then it's not fine.

We only have the small +/- ones from the 80s but they are all on full.

I have opened up one of the upstairs Lockshield valves half a turn and that's helped - some are up to 50 now. Though not sure it was me doing that turn or the fact it's now been 2 1/2 hours and they had caught up.

The 2 big ones downstairs are the best - both 56 and too hot to touch. The worst upstairs are 49-50.

Should I be aiming for all of them to be this temp?

Rads downstairs are now getting hot, but upstairs lukewarm at best. He indicated this was normal and just air. How long do I leave it this way before calling back - I'm aware he's 4 hour round trip away so as disappointed as I am in some factors of the install - I don't want to put him out unnecessarily if, as he says, it will right itself.

Do you know how to bleed it, and repressurise it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back