New boiler and one new radiator fitted but it’s not working.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I’m hoping I can find some solutions or suggestions before getting a plumber out. So we have recently had a new combi boiler fitted at the beginning of the month. We originally had one upstairs but have had the new one fitted downstairs as we’re planning a loft conversion in the summer. We have purchased a boiler that is sufficient for the existing 7 radiators and for an additional 3 plus another shower. All was working fine, we had had no heating or hot water for 5 weeks at this point so the tiniest bit of heat was a delight. Anyway 2 days after the new boiler was fit my brother has been to fit a radiator in the hallway. He has fed this from the pipes under the floor in the bedroom upstairs down into the hallway. The first night I left the heating on and after 3 hours the radiator still wasn’t hot and one of the pipes had got warm to touch half way down. Now we seem to have an issue with both radiators in our living room that feed from upstairs, they’re cold at the bottom at take a good half an hour to even get aired. The new hallway rad doesn’t get warm at all. My brother initially thought he’d put the flow and return pipes on the wrong way and came to switch them around but this hasn’t changed anything. We have tried bleeding the radiators but no luck with getting it to work.

Not sure if it’s worth mentioning but the bathroom rad doesn’t have a TRV, this was previously the closest rad to the old boiler. Now the first radiator on the loop is in my daughters bedroom that does have a TRV. The water now goes up from the boiler to her radiator, the bathroom other two bedrooms and then down to the living room radiators. The kitchen radiator is also fed down from my daughters room.

Any suggestions? Could it be an airlock? We have warranty on the boiler etc but the issue I have is that they didn’t fit the new radiator and I’m not 100% sure that the living room radiators were fully working and hot too and bottom before the new one was fit. I’m concerned if I ring them that they’ll say the boiler is working etc

Sponsored Links
Is the new hallway rad a vertical ,designer type ,or a standard panel radiator ?
If a standard panel rad ,close every other radiator by its TRV ( or wheel head if no TRV) and run central heating. See if new rad now heats fully.

It’s a standard panel radiator, I’ll try that. Which direction should the wheel head turn on the bathroom rad? The one without TRV?

Sponsored Links
Sorry for all the questions but which side is the wheel head, my bathroom rad has lockshields on both sides?

Either one will do. Count how many turns ( or part turns) it takes to close fully. And make a note ,so you can open it back to its original position later.
You will need a spanner to close it by the way.

So the ones with TRV do I just turn A to off or is it B? And then the wheelheads is it A or B?

Attachments

• B9170739-99F6-4641-9060-495A69EB66BA.jpeg
    B9170739-99F6-4641-9060-495A69EB66BA.jpeg
    232.6 KB · Views: 32
  • D7A9A060-CA26-4D27-99A7-EB82B2916298.jpeg
    D7A9A060-CA26-4D27-99A7-EB82B2916298.jpeg
    165.8 KB · Views: 31
After taking off the plastic cover ,the brass spindle is visible ,can be turned with pliers ,but a spanner is better as pliers tend to slip and churn up the brass

How long should I leave it for? Absolutely no change on the new rad, pipes and rad are cold

20 minutes should be more than enough ,has boiler shut down ? What's the boiler status ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back