New combi boiler + old radiators = :(

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening folks I hoping you guys can give me pointers as to whats wrong with our central heating.

We moved into our 4 bed house then not long after the boiler packed up :(

We could only afford a brand new combi boiler but not new radiators, the upside was the tanks in the loft were removed freeing up space :D

The boiler is a Worcester 30 CDi combi boiler, the guys who fitted it used a chemical flushing agent on the radiators & also fitted new thermo valves.

The problem is when the heating is first switched on all the radiators get really hot, then after an hour or so they all cool down :eek:

The large radiator in the living room goes completely cold, the bedroom rads vary from quite hot to luke warm. Only the bathroom & hallway rad (with no thermo valve as the wall mounted thermostat is nearby) remain really hot.

I have bled the radiators several times but no air comes out.....just hot water.

Can anybody give me some pointers as to what could be wrong?

Thanks

Dave :confused:

Sponsored Links
I love a quid for the number of times of been called out, when the TRV has done its job and the rads cold :LOL:

Sponsored Links
The TRV's Im assuming are the big adjustable end :D

Yes they are all open, but is the case of the living room rad going cold, turning the TRV doesnt do anything...it still stays cold :(

I dont know if the guys who installed the boiler balanced the system.

Davydave :(

Is that big adjustable thing covered by curtains or furniture, does it work when the heating comes one.

What is the room stat set on

Is that big adjustable thing covered by curtains or furniture, does it work when the heating comes one.

What is the room stat set on

The TRV isnt covered by anything but we do have a large leather sofa placed about 6" infront of the radiator....could this be causing the problem?

None of the TRV's in the other rooms are not covered up either :confused:

As I said before when the heating comes on all the rads get hot very quickly.

I have the wireless room stat (on the wall in the hallway) set at 24 degrees.

Davy :(

Turn all the TRVs down to 3, then when they go cold turn them up to full to see if the come back on

Thanks for the advice.......Im off to turn the TRV's down as instructed :D

Davy :D

I love a quid for the number of times of been called out, when the TRV has done its job and the rads cold :LOL:

i thought the trv controlled the opening of a valve based on room temperature not the actuall temp of at rad ? thats right isnt it ?

*dumb question alert"

so if thats the case as long as the room is warm ( or retains the heat from the rad then the rad will switch off ?)

i thought the trv controlled the opening of a valve based on room temperature not the actuall temp of at rad ? thats right isnt it ?

*dumb question alert"

so if thats the case as long as the room is warm ( or retains the heat from the rad then the rad will switch off ?)

Correct :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back