New Boiler gas pipework

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, I'm presently asking loads of stuff over on the electrics board but I've come across summat that I need some info off you guys for.

I'm doing loads of stuff to the house at the moment & I'm pretty certain that I will need to get a new boiler fitted some time soon, as the existing set-up is absolutely rubbish. It feeds five radiators & doesn't heat any water as there is a separate multi-point water heater in the bathroom ( which is working perfectly )

The thing I need to know is this. Do all new High Efficiency boilers require 22mm pipe for the gas feed, as the existing one only has a 15mm feed. I have a load of the gas pipe route open at the moment but this will not be for too much longer. If the 22mm pipe is required, I would like to be able to get that replaced away before I re-cover the exposed pipework for obvious reasons.

If I am correct, I am not allowed to touch any gas plumbing myself, a Corgi registered person has to do all that. If that is the case, could you tell me if a fitter would be willing to do this work for me BEFORE I get around to getting a new boiler fitted ( ££ is tight unfortunately ) I would probably get the same guy back to do the boiler fit as a show of faith.

Thanks very much.

Sponsored Links
22mm is likely to be required.
If I was in your area i would have no problem with upgrading you existing pipework, cant see any other not willing to do it either.

Do all new High Efficiency boilers require 22mm pipe for the gas feed, as the existing one only has a 15mm feed.

It is the input volume of gas required by the appliance that determines pipe size. The boiler's efficiency is irrelevant (ie. Small output efficient boiler = small gas pipe, larger output boiler or combi = larger pipe).

Nixt";p="833288 said:
It is the input volume of gas required by the appliance that determines pipe size. The boiler's efficiency is irrelevant (ie. Small output efficient boiler = small gas pipe, larger output boiler or combi = larger pipe).

So, there is a chance that the existing pipework could be OK ? How can I check that exactly ? Do certain boilers state what size of pipe they require ?

Sponsored Links
If you are employing a CORGI regd. installer to do the work then they should take responsibility for that. It can be calculated using a simple sizing chart and will depend on the boiler you're replacing it with. Not manufacturer dependent but basic laws of physics apply.

You need to chose the boiler power first and that will determine the required pipe size which the CORGI will calculate and take responsibility for if he installs the boiler.

It will be at least 22 mm but could be more id the boiler is over 30 kW and more than 3 m from meter.

15 mm will possibly supply up to 1 m from the meter!

Tony

bit of chicken - egg situation!, could lay in loads pipe and op goes and buys a bl**dy ethos 56kw

You need to chose the boiler power first and that will determine the required pipe size which the CORGI will calculate and take responsibility for if he installs the boiler.

It will be at least 22 mm but could be more id the boiler is over 30 kW and more than 3 m from meter.

15 mm will possibly supply up to 1 m from the meter!

Tony

I will have to see if I can persuade a local gas guy to tell me what size boiler etc will be needed for my home & then get him to fit the correct pipe on the current installation ready for the upgrade. The Boiler is 5.5M away from the Gas Meter. Shame I've spent so much on everything else, otherwise I would've got this sorted first. :cry:

Hindsight is such a beautiful word - NOT :confused:

Forgot to add btw - Thanks very much for all the replies

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back