New Boiler has built in clock, do i still need a programmer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,

my new boiler has a built in clock, do i still need to have a seperate programmer and thermostat.

cheers

ross

Sponsored Links
You will still need a room stat to control the temperature in your house. You won't need the programmer, as the boiler will operate at the timings you set on it.

If you have a combined programmer and room stat (suitable for a combi, that I presume you have just had fitted), you could either;

1) Wire the combined stat and programmer to control the boiler, and not use the boiler's timer

or

2) Use the stat part of the programmer, and set the programmers timer to constant, and rely on the boilers clock for timings.

it's not been fitted yet, but it will when it does next week,

if the rads have thermostatic valves would that make a difference.

Just making sure i don't get parts fitted that i don't need and save about £80 on not having to get a new programmer and room stat if not required.

as £80 = $120 spends on hols, :D

Trouble is, the the rad valves won't turn the boiler off when the house is up to temperature.

If the boiler has a clock you don't need a programmer. All you need is a room stat, available for 13 quid from Screwfix for the wired version.

However, if you want a wireless stat, £80 is about right.

Room stats should be fitted in a room (usually hall/living room) where the rads don't have thermo rad valves.

P.S. Where are you getting greenbacks at 1.5 to the £? thought those days are long gone! :(

http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;j...=46637-11&searchbutton.x=12&searchbutton.y=10

Sponsored Links
P.S. Where are you getting greenbacks at 1.5 to the £? thought those days are long gone! :(

Getting Greenbacks at $1.45 on ThomasExchange.com today (sorry if i cant post websites names) but i've got just over 100days till lift off so am praying of maybe just mabye (please finance gods) sneaking $1.50

Yeah the old stat is in the hall so it can just get replaced for a nice new one.

Cheers for that mate.

If the wiring is all in place for the old stat, its best to just replace it with a new wired stat using existing wires.

Wired stats are less aggro than wireless.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back