Salus RT500BC boiler programmer / thermostat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I hope somebody can help me.
I recently bought the Salus RT500BC which consists of boiler programmer receiver and a seperate programmable thermostat but then realised that my boiler ( Baxi Solo2 50pf ) does not have a manual clock inside so it is not a straight forward swap with the boiler programmer,
unless somebody can explain to me how to do it.
Can the receiver be swapped with the hard wired room thermostat and used as just a thermostat.?

The room thermostat has 3 wires, Live, Nuetral and a 2nd neutral.
The receiver has 4 connectors, Live , Nuetral, Com, NO.

Best wishes.

Nomad1963

Sponsored Links
You have the wrong product. First of all the BC is designed, as you have deduced, to replace an integral clock that you don't have, Secondly, I assume that if you have a Baxi Solo 2, that you likely also have a hot water cylinder that is heated by it. The Salus RT500BC is designed for a combi bolier and will not provide time control of a stored hot water system.

In theory you could replace the existing room stat with the receiver, and leave the heating set to permanently 'on' at the the existing programmer, although the BC receiver is designed to mount inside a boiler case so it won't look pretty and it may be difficult to mount it and connect the wires. The RT500rf would be the correct model to use if you went that route.

The existing thermostat wires may be as follows, but you will need to test them first to be sure. Don't assume.

Live (from the programmer / timeswitch) Often red in colour
Switched live, to operate the heating. Often yellow in colour
Neutral. Often blue in colour

The installation manual tells you which wires would need to go where.

It would however, be easier, especially as the thermostat wiring is in place, to just purchase a wired digital thermostat to replace the existing one. Generally, the reason rf thermostats are used is to save the need for installing the wiring.

Last edited:
I don't see why that unit should not be used in place of the thermostat.

The existing programmer would be retained to continue timing the hot water and just left on continuously for heating.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back