NEw boiler monday - flushing info?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I have a corgi(and likely gas safe) RGI coming round Monday to fit a new combi boiler.
It will be a WB Greenstar 25si, I have rooms & rads as follows.
Front room is 15 foot square 10ft ceiling. (window)
Kitchen roughly same size. (window)
Main Bedroom 15' sq & ft ceiling. (window)
First floor.
Bathroom - 7'x13' small rad/small window.
Bedroom2, 13x13, window.
attic floor, 2 off 15'x13' attic rooms with velux windows.

I'm wondering if the boiler will be adequate for that lot?
(It's only 2m away from the gas meter so will be re piped in 22mm.)

Also, there is existing pipework & rads, the RGI is proposing to flush with X300 then put X100 in. He suggests it will likely not need powerflushing.

However I have my doubts, I know a powerflush would be best (albeit expensive) but will X300 be able to flush my pipework in the same day?

I understood that chemicals ought to be in a lot longer?

Your advice on the boiler size & flushing would be appreciated, I only have a day to decide.

Oh PS, the WB web page says it should be powered via a std 3 pin mains plug, I thought that it needed a fused spur instead - which is right?

Sponsored Links
X300 will only take care of flux on the new pipework, can't imagine it well do alot to clear anything out of the existing system. X800 works well without a p/flush machine.

Ditto, X800 run system as long as you can up to 4 hrs and i would suggest after running entire system to evenly distribute it turn on one radiator at a time and let the boilers pump force it round each rad. this is vertually a powerflush. Finish off by finding out which is the flow pipe on the furthest rad, drain frome there whils mains flushing from filling loop into return pipe . Again one radiator at a time.

I have enquired and the RIG does have a good reputation & does a good job, so I'll see what he says about the X300.
Looking at the Sentinel site, X400 seems to be more suited to my 20yr old system. X800 being for powerflushing.

Either way it needs leaving in for an hour or two, if he is going to get this boiler install done in a day then IMO it wont be in for that long.

What do you think about the output of the boiler? WB site says it's for small houses/apartments. Mine is a large 4 roomed house?

Sponsored Links
the boiler should be fine for your rad requirements.

but what are your hw requirements?

how many hw outlets/ensuite/shower etc

the best you can expect is around 11 lpm from this boiler imo

X800 being for powerflushing.

And for economy flushing by the guys who want to be in and out in a day and not come back four weeks later to drain out the x400. If the guy just wants to use x300 in the same day you won't have a clean system.

You get what you pay for, pay more for the job and you will get someone who powerflushes or flushes properly which takes time and effort.

Every body works to the level you pay him at the end of the day.

Oh PS, the WB web page says it should be powered via a std 3 pin mains plug, I thought that it needed a fused spur instead - which is right?

I've seen both. It is perhaps normal electrician's practice to used a fused spur for a fixed appliance but it should be a 'double pole' switch to ensure safety when working on the boiler.

The alternative and maybe better to some eyes is to use a standard 3-pin plug and socket as this provides positive visual proof of isolation for maintenance.

OK cheers folks.

RE the HW use, we have a mixer shower over the bath.
That's about it really.
I would expect it to fill a bath OK. :D

Hello, I have a corgi(and likely gas safe) RGI coming round Monday to fit a new combi boiler.

Don't worry about him been Corgi, they are now irrelevant to gas, he MUST be Gas Safe Registered, there is no likely about it, if he is not, he cannot work on gas.

He is cheers, I managed to find him & am happy with everything so far.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back